photo licensing

Luigi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
good day,

i have a question about licensing copyrights to a photo - can i license the same photo to two competing brands and companies?

..say i have a nice shot of a girl drinking soda.. and i'm lucky enough to have Coke knocking on my door to use that photo for 3 months in a magazine print ads.. and just so happens Pepsi want the same photo for 3 months also in their magazine print ads..

discounting the posibility that a neither Coke nor Pepsi asked for exclusivity, can i offer the same license for the said photo to the two companies?

any and all information you may have could be very helpful!

thanks,
Luigi

Do you have a model release?

this scenario is just a hypothetical example, but for the purpose of this discussion, yes, i'd have a model release signed by the girl drinking the soda?

If you don't give/sell them exclusive usage right, then yes, you could sell it more than once.

Although, in this hypothetical scenario, the client would probably insist on exclusivity.

good day,

i have a question about licensing copyrights to a photo - can i license the same photo to two competing brands and companies?

..say i have a nice shot of a girl drinking soda.. and i'm lucky enough to have Coke knocking on my door to use that photo for 3 months in a magazine print ads.. and just so happens Pepsi want the same photo for 3 months also in their magazine print ads..

discounting the posibility that a neither Coke nor Pepsi asked for exclusivity, can i offer the same license for the said photo to the two companies?

any and all information you may have could be very helpful!

thanks,
Luigi
I'm with Mike that you sure can, but that kind of scenario is highly unlikely and would severely devalue the image for both companies.

You might want to study how use licensing works. Visit American Society of Media Photographers, click on "Business Resources" and read through their Licensing tutorial and other resources.

thanks big mike and KmH. ill check out that link too

Most reactions

Back