Photo Magazines

jdh313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
In case you haven't seen me in the galleries, I've recently taken an interest back in photography and could use some help finding reading materials. What periodicals would you recommend for me? I'm on a tight budget, so I can't buy EVERY magazine out there before subscribing lol. My interests are mainly train photos, so something with landscapes, cityscapes, or even automobiles, would better than, say, weddings or portraits. I'm also looking for techniques, how-tos, and SOME item reviews.
I know it's a stretch, but I'd love to hear your opinions on what you've loved, and what you've hated.
Thanks,
JDH313
(Also, if it helps, I shoot Nikon)

I reckon you will learn better just reading the posts here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here to suit your every needs . Save your money too.

I'd look for some good websites and blogs to follow instead. I have subscribed to a couple in the last few years--Shutterbug and Outdoor Photographer. I found Outdoor Photographer to be a little more interesting to me, but both magazines were so filled with ads that it wasn't worth it. In any issue, there *might* be one or two articles of any real interest to me.

Here's one of my favorite article-type photography sites: Digital Photography School - Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

Cambridge in Colour is another good one, and Strobist is another good one.

Those three sites, and others I've seen (often from links here on TPF) have been far more useful to me than most magazines.

Most magazines are just filler articles stuffed between ads. Open any one, and you'll find it's 80% advertisements. And the articles are recycled over and over.

Most magazines are just filler articles stuffed between ads. Open any one, and you'll find it's 80% advertisements. And the articles are recycled over and over.

This is my experience (and apparently UK magazines are significantly better than the US ones so I've no idea how shocking the US ones are!). The thing is the articles are oft aimed at beginners but there are problems;

1) Inconsistency - articles might be aimed at beginners but not always with beginners in mind. For example most editing advice uses photoshop; and most beginners do not get photoshop (its as much as the camera they just bought) they have elements or other cheaper software (although this is partly a weaker argument now that you can get a cheap monthly subscription for photoshop)

2) Lack of depth - they skim over a subject, giving you the barebones of how to get started, but often don't expand upon the point nor go into greater depth. This makes them ok for very early beginners, but quickly you'll find a lack of worthwhile depth to keep you hooked.

I'd suggest a few good books and the use of forums and local photography clubs - you're far more likely to get depth, additional information and more guidance that way.

Pick up the latest issue of Shutterbug. It is the only periodical that I would purchase. You will have several hours of reading material as well as all those ads. Keep it around for about 6 months so you can refer to the ads for further ideas.

Meanwhile, as the others have posted, you can get quite a lot from sites on the internet.

Follow Digital Photography School on Facebook. They have a lot of good posts. =)
They also have a flickr page if you want some inspiration.
Yeah the only good thing in that place are the articles you can find. But the forum is terrible. Been there done that, unless you listen to the guy that tells you what to do 100%, and you shoot raw and super edit your pics and don't really want to learn things at your pase, you will not be welcome there. And I say that of a lot of experience. Also, I just bought Shutterbug/popphotography/and americanphoto. American photo, the first issue I got was more disturbing than helpful... Being said, I recently bought a book "Understanding Exposure revised 3rd edition By Bryan Peterson" Absolutely amazing book. And for $14 it's cheap.

Go to your public library......lots of photography books and magazines there to read for free.

We get Popular Photography. It's had some good articles here and there, but it's really more aimed at gear reviews and stuff. I did like the last issue's article about the landscape photographers of the year, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back