Photo posting problem

d1a1s1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, lets see if I can explain this.
I download my pictures from my camera to my computer. I bring the photos I like the most up in photoshop. I do a little post processing. I save them as PNG files. I upload the photo to photobucket for posting on this website. I post said photo. The posted photo looks completely untouched by photoshop. Devoid of any of the changes I made. I know that Im uploading the processed photo to photobucket but why does it look untouched on here? Oh, and its not just on here its on some other forums as well. Where am I going wrong?

You uploaded a PNG file instead of a jpeg?

Well only because I cant convert a RAW file into Jpeg with photoshop. I'm doing this all wrong aren't I? :er:

Honestly,I don't know I've never tried to upload a PNG file. Which ps are you using?

CS2. Of all the save options it gives me, thats the only one that seems to make sense. If I save in any photoshop format I wont be able to share it with anyone that doesn't have photoshop. I dont think it has anything to do with my file type. If I download a photo from this site and open it in photoshop it looks different. I dont think Im explaining myself correctly. Basically, the photos I see on my browser look a lot flatter than when I view them in photoshop. Browser issue perhaps?

How long has it been since you calibrated your monitor?

Also, have you tried returning CS2 to the defaults?

mike

For anyone reading this try going here http://www.drycreekphoto.com/index.html and follow their instructions on monitor calibration. It works for me and costs far less than more hardware.

I dont think its a calibration issue either. The pictures come up in PS the way they should appear. Its when I view them through my browser that they look untouched. For example, the pictures I posted recently from Lime Rock look flat on this forum but when I view them through PS they look better. The same seems to happen with other peoples pictures as well. Ive downloaded some member pictures to do editing but when I brought them up in PS they looked a lot more colorful.

Sorry, I dunno unless it is the file type. Try uploading a jpg and see. There are free programs to deal with RAW files if your copy of cs2 won't. I would suggest that you calibrate your monitor at least once every couple of months though.

mike

Hmm...well thanks for the help. My main computer is in storage for now so Im stuck with my laptop. I guess Ill defer this problem until I can get my desktop back. Thanks for trying Mike, appreciated.

I'm not sure about why the photos appear differently in PS, but if you're going to post the image it should be posted as a jpg. In CS2 use the "Save for Web" instead of just "save".

I'm not sure about why the photos appear differently in PS, but if you're going to post the image it should be posted as a jpg. In CS2 use the "Save for Web" instead of just "save".

Isn't a PNG a better format than JPG though?

They all have their purposes, it occurs to me that CS2 maybe seeing the changes you've made in that file format but the server isn't and is passing on the original file because it doesn't fully understand the PNG format.

just a guess

mike

When you want to save a picture for viewing on the web in PS Edit>Convert Profile>sRGB (the web color space used by browsers)

This changes the color space and you will see it on a browser the same way you do in PS and will also incorporate the EXIF info.

Hmmm...those last two answers make a lot of sense. Ill try that.

Most reactions

Back