Photo releases: what does this mean?

Dubie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I wanted to submit pics for a photo contest and the info for releases says this:

Releases must be available and furnished upon request for all individuals prominently featured in a entered image. This rule is not generally applicable to street photography. Do not include any releases with your photography.

Okay, so does this mean if my photography is taken on private property with a model, I would need a release.

But if I was on the street in downtown los angeles and took pictures from the outside of buildings and people on the street, I would not need a release?

This means that if you take a portrait/ glamour/ headshot kind of shot you would need a MODEL release. This would state that the model gives her permission for the photo to be published, edited, printed, and w/e else you include. Google model release to see some samples.

For street photography they mean if you took a street portrait of someone a release my not be needed. This is because the nature of street photography I suppose and it being a little bit more difficult to obtain a written release by your subject. I suggest you take a look at street photography to get a better idea. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

Location of the picture doesnt make a difference be it private or public (unless of course they required a property release)

thanks...that was a great link.

Follow the links to other photography stuff that wikipedia offers. They really have a LOT of information there and you could get tied up for hours reading it all.

I loved the links. I really love street photography but being new to it, I didn't know it had a name.

Oh one more question if anyone reads again....if later I shoot a candid shot on the street and display it in a gallery...is that legal?

I loved the links. I really love street photography but being new to it, I didn't know it had a name.

Oh one more question if anyone reads again....if later I shoot a candid shot on the street and display it in a gallery...is that legal?

It is legal but only if the titles aren't in BOLD PRINT.

First forum I ever got razzed for bold print! Hmmm...let's see....it's an option for a reason! Maybe cos I'm blind and it's hard to see the other print.

Most reactions

Back