Photo School Critiques

When dealing with human beings while giving a crit, one doesn't have to be a total b@st@rd and bash their self-esteem. One can give a crit and still be both technically correct and be diplomatic.

The thing is, for some, being diplomatic is a skill that is harder to develop than good photography skills (first time I found, this out I was stunned... how could an easily learned interpersonal skill be so challenging to many?).

As someone that stands in front of adults, training and teaching them 75% of the time in my job, I can still point out all the technical aspects that are lacking and not break their spirit. Rather than be brutal to their self-esteem, I can be brutal about the picture, without being an a$$.

No one likes to hear their work being called crap, even if it is. We are talking about people who are there to receive an education and a guiding hand, not the rantings and ravings of "the almighty one" standing in the front of the class with an attitude of superiority.

Concerning the students that are being difficult about accepting critique, I could *easily* explain that in the real world, critique from your peers and/or "higher-ups will be much more difficult and that often in the "real world" outside the walls of an educational institution, people are not there to coddle you anymore and will sometimes even get very aggressive with their opinions. Being able to accept that in a calm open manner is often the difference between having a job... and walking. Calm, polite and professional attitudes are key here.

If your crit skills lack diplomacy in a classroom environment, the thing that I suggest is that you brush up on delivery skills. If your crit skills are good, but they are not being accepted by the students, I suggest that you build up on your diplomacy skills.

Finally, if you are regularly having issues dealing with difficult students, there are many excellent books and classes out there that deal with exactly that. I took two of them (how to deal with difficult students and the same class for difficult adult students... amazing experience!) and my satisfaction ratings rose from 80% to 97%... meaning my average class evaluation for the last 4 years is 9.5 out of 10... each and every class. Try it... it cannot hurt!

Credible, informative, impartial, and helpful, combined with high expectations works with critiques and students. Exterior encouragement builds dependency and does not lead to independent learners. Encouragement needs to come from within. "Sugar coating" is used with children. Experienced adults should be beyond that need and more independent in their motivation, drive, and efforts to learn anything.

skieur

encouragment only leads to dependency when it is the only form of commenting given - when given with all the rest it helps to build since you are not only pointing out the errors and the possible corrections that you (the "pro" photographer) would make but also that the person you are talking to is capable of such things as well.

In a hobby which can be (and often is) taken very personally and often alone - or separated from a photographic community I consider it important that there is encouragment to those that are new.
Again - I am NOT saying sugar coat the replies, just look for the posetive in the photo

Also - on the internet - some people really are kids (by age)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back