Photo sessions...am i messing up already?

Thank you Tee!
And thank YOU, Glow, for not lashing back at the Welcome Committee - I mean, the members of this site who like to help out with advice. :er: I expected this thread to go off the rails about 2 pages ago! You are a mature person with a tough skin - so guess what? With some more photography experience, you stand a very good chance of becoming a real pro. ;)

I also took a look at your FB shots, and I agree that you should deep-six the "soft look". They just come across as out of focus. Little software tricks like selective coloring are more faddish in nature, though I don't hold it against you for trying different looks. I understand that when you get positive feedback from family and friends, it's encouraging, but what you DO need to help you grow as a photographer is more positive feedback from more experienced photographers. Since you clearly have the backbone for it (as you have so nicely demonstrated here), please keep posting and listening to the feedback and critique. Shut out the noise from those who tell you your work is crap but have nothing to offer as to how to improve - those are just the bullies. :)

I think you are developing a good eye for some things - the shot of the shy little girl clinging to Mom's leg is sweet. This is probably what your immediate clients (friends this weekend) are after. Since you can deliver this level of quality, you should feel okay going into this type of shoot. Right now you are giving some neighbors an inexpensive option for holiday shots because they probably can't afford studio package prices, and for a couple of hours of your time it's a casual trade-off that does little harm. What the others are cautioning you against is getting too heady and trying to take things to the next level and undercharging to get jobs you aren't ready to take on. This DOES hurt the industry and real pros who have spent years developing all levels of their craft. YOU might get to the stage where you've put together some holiday package offers and those very neighbors still might not be able to pay, but someone 2 blocks over could step in and casually undercut you. Think long-term if want to take this seriously, and be careful, that's all. :)

As far as the business end, contact a local accountant for tax specifics. A quick meeting can ease your mind and let you know what you need to do. If you report what you make your accountant will make sure it's all on the up and up. States differ in certain small business requirements, so make an investment in having an accountant to educate you.

You've got three built in models. You should be practicing on them and your family if you fancy yourself a family portrait photographer. You shouldn't be taking business until you've gotten a lot better with how you should shoot them. At least get a reflector and learn how to use it. Right now your selling point is 'I push the button so you don't have to'. You should have a portfolio full of great shots of your kids and right now all you have are snapshots.

I'm not referring to the OP in any way by emphasizing this line, I just gotta say, that made me truly laugh out loud!! I've always said I'm not really planning to "go pro", but I've changed my mind--I'm creating my website TODAY and THIS is gonna be my motto! :biglaugh: I bet I could do pretty well with it. ;)
It's just a play on words from the old Kodak slogan. "You press the button, we do the rest." Amazing how little things have changed when dealing with consumers, isn't it? :lol:

ahhh, thank you terri. i appreciate the good, bad, and ugly! yes, feeling better :)

Congratulations! You survived the browbeating!!!

'It's just a play on words from the old Kodak slogan. "You press the button, we do the rest."'

No, actually it wasn't. More like scrubbing bubbles:
What company used the advertising slogan "We work hard so you don't have to?"

"This DOES hurt the industry and real pros who have spent years developing all levels of their craft"

It's doubtful a MWAC will affect any serious pro. It's possible the pro will gain more business from unsatisfied customers.

"This DOES hurt the industry and real pros who have spent years developing all levels of their craft"

OP has no obligation to "real pros" or "the industry". If the "real pros" can't keep up with the MWACs out there, then that's "the industry's" problem.

'It's just a play on words from the old Kodak slogan. "You press the button, we do the rest."'

It's doubtful a MWAC will affect any serious pro. It's possible the pro will gain more business from unsatisfied customers.
MWAC/AWAC's are not any damage to a pro. We sure as hell don't want their customers, they can't afford us so if they're filling a need for a corner of the industry, who cares?
The people paying $50 for everything plus the kitchen sink (and wal mart isn't even THAT cheap) are NOT going to pay a couple hundred dollar sitting fee and a real professional's prices. So, the MWAC/AWAC's and I are good. I like them! I hate to see them losing money and not know it, but they don't scare me or hurt the industry in any way.

the pros then must've thought the same about you when you were starting out. or, did you jump out of bed one morning and "magically get better"?

Hey everyone! Just discovered this forum tonight, and this is my first post. Love it so far!
I've been a hobby photographer for many years, but just recently getting more serious and confident enough to sell. I have nature photo items on Etsy, and recently booked my first 5 family sessions in the next 2 weeks! I'm diving right in, and I'm loving it! Question about my pricing. I'm currently charging a flat $50 for the session, with edited images on a disc. Im staying in my county, doing 15 edited images, maybe 3 hrs total in each session with traveling and editing. That's it, no prints right now. Seemed easy for everyone, and a good way to get myself out there. I searched and couldnt find any discussion on this. Am I messing up already? Is this a hot topic for argument? I'm excited to read some opinions! :D
Thank you!

Good for you! I try to do it for free and have no luck. Can't even give my photography away.

If you get $50 that is great! Best of luck with your biz.

the pros then must've thought the same about you when you were starting out. or, did you jump out of bed one morning and "magically get better"?
The ideal would be to master the craft and THEN go into business as a true professional. Instead of winging it and learning on the fly while acting as a professional. That's where I started. College education and many years working for others before finally going into business. But that is not where most people start these days. I'd have also been far better served had I gotten a business degree instead of photojournalism.
It used to be the norm that you mastered the craft THEN went into business, however it's not anymore. There are 7billion people in the world. There is a market for every level these days. The only person the AWAC/MWAC is hurting is their own future business when they put out sub-par work. It comes back to bite you in the butt. If you can overcome that hurdle? You're golden.
That post I gave you on building a house will be the determining factor as to whether you can overcome it or not. If you have a good plan and have educated yourself you'll do it just fine.

I know its difficult nowadays to find someone to work under or second shoot for, but that is really a great way to do it. My wife spent several years with a pro wedding photographer that was a family friend before doing a single photo on her own that she was paid for. It not only helps you learn how to shoot, but how to deal with clients, set up contracts, plan the shoot, setup, teardown, and everything in between. Call some photographers not quite in your area and ask about helping them out for free on whatever they are shooting. Carry gear around, watch and listen... And learn. Then you can do. And hopefully do well.

I know its difficult nowadays to find someone to work under or second shoot for, but that is really a great way to do it. My wife spent several years with a pro wedding photographer that was a family friend before doing a single photo on her own that she was paid for. It not only helps you learn how to shoot, but how to deal with clients, set up contracts, plan the shoot, setup, teardown, and everything in between. Call some photographers not quite in your area and ask about helping them out for free on whatever they are shooting. Carry gear around, watch and listen... And learn. Then you can do. And hopefully do well.
that sounds like a great idea, i would love to do that. thank you.

Most reactions

Back