Photo Shoot Attempt 2 (56k...8 photos)

SkWeEkiE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.abrownphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alrighty everyone, i am back again with my 2nd attempt @ Portraits. I finally ditched the Home Depot Construction lights and bought some cheap 110w Studio lights from EBAY (Set of 2 for $70 bucks). I know they are not the best but they are sure better than HARSH constuction lights.

This is my Girlfriend who was extremely irritated with me because she wanted to go to sleep and i wanted to test out my new lights... so, I won! :D Please feel free to TEAR ME UP with the C&C because I cannot learn any other way!

Enjoy...

Nice work. I'll say it again, you are lucky to have such a good looking and willing model to pose for you.

#6 is my favorite. That one stands out because there is shadow on her face which adds depth. The others are more evenly lit...which is more of a glamour style. That still works and looks good...I just like the artsy stuff better.

Keep up the practicing.

Overall you did a good job, especially for the first time messing with these lights.

Couple of suggestions:

First either move your model further away from the back drop and/or open your aperture wider to get a more shallow depth of focus. This will blur out your background, while leaving your model sharp, and we all won't see every crease of your white sheet.

Second, the lighting feels really even to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in every situation, but... In portraits like these, where I assume the intent is to get a very intimate and personal feeling, you want more shadows. Not dark, but more shadows. When playing with lights the hardest part to learn is how to look at the shadows rather than the lights. Painting with light really means painting with shadows.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense.

Cute girlfriend by the way!

hyp0rbyte said:
Very nice.

Could you post a link of the lights you purchased?
Here you go bro:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Studio-Strobe-Flash-Umbrella-Softbox-Light-Stand-SET2_W0QQitemZ320037629913QQihZ011QQcategoryZ30087QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
ShutteredEye said:
Overall you did a good job, especially for the first time messing with these lights.

Couple of suggestions:

First either move your model further away from the back drop and/or open your aperture wider to get a more shallow depth of focus. This will blur out your background, while leaving your model sharp, and we all won't see every crease of your white sheet.

Second, the lighting feels really even to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in every situation, but... In portraits like these, where I assume the intent is to get a very intimate and personal feeling, you want more shadows. Not dark, but more shadows. When playing with lights the hardest part to learn is how to look at the shadows rather than the lights. Painting with light really means painting with shadows.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense.

Cute girlfriend by the way!
Thanks for the tips! The reason i had her be so closed to the BKG is because that is NOT A SHEET, but a $1 shower curtian that i had just bought right before the shoot and pinned it up to the wall, but it was very small all around so i had to have her close to it, in order to keep the "wall" out of the shot!

-I understand what you mean about the lighting vs shadow's and will DEF have to work on that!

*Thanks for the comments and input everyone! I've got a lot of work to do!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have been looking at this set. Do most lighting sets use the same hardware? If I purchased something like the ebay link above, but then purchased some Alienbees' in the future would the same stands work?

+bump for a good shoot

hyp0rbyte said:
I have been looking at this set. Do most lighting sets use the same hardware? If I purchased something like the ebay link above, but then purchased some Alienbees' in the future would the same stands work?

+bump for a good shoot
Thanks for the comp! And i am not sure about the hardware...

You've got to be really careful about shots like #7, because of the natural neck wrinkles everyone gets in such a position. It's the same thing when you get someone to look over their shoulder. Next time see if you can cover it with her hair, or get her to stretch out her neck. :)

Love love love 6. 8 isn't terrible! Practice, practice!

JenniferLynn84 said:
You've got to be really careful about shots like #7, because of the natural neck wrinkles everyone gets in such a position. It's the same thing when you get someone to look over their shoulder. Next time see if you can cover it with her hair, or get her to stretch out her neck. :)

Love love love 6. 8 isn't terrible! Practice, practice!
Thank you very much for the advice!

and practice i shall!!!

....off to bed for me

Most reactions

New Topics

Back