Photo shoot using muslin backdrop

786soul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been doing a few photoshoots for a clothing store and so far it's been high key lighting i.e white background. It's worked out perfectly so far.

I now am presented with a bit of a problem as they owner's have decided they'd like shots on a blue background, possibly to remove the blue later and swap in an alternate background image. It's a muslin backdrop but my main concern is I've never shot on colored backdrops before. Below is the equipment I have to shoot with. The shoot is tonight, any help/tips are greatly appreciated :D

Stuff I use:

Camera stuff is all in my sig
One umbrella (not shoot through)
2 strobes (430exII and 580exII)
One Softbox

That's all I've got. Lens is not an issue, it's been my workhorse and is perfect for what I need.

In terms of what I'm taking pictures of: One or two models (only one at a time) standing or sitting with different indian designer outfits. Most are very colorful.

Thanks guys.

you can gel one of your strobes blue and fire it onto the muslin to turn it blue, Get yourself a reflector and you can still work with one strobe.

you can gel one of your strobes blue and fire it onto the muslin to turn it blue, Get yourself a reflector and you can still work with one strobe.

I've got no gels and only a small reflector disc, maybe only 30cm in diamter.

I had the idea just now to use the softbox to light my subject, angle the umbrella towards the backdrop from the side. Only issue now is the other side won't be lit as even as I'd need to keep the blue consistent. I've been looking to get a third strobe I really wish I had one right about now.

Most reactions

Back