Photo Shop PS4

gigiphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just recently recieved photoshop. I'm trying to figure all this out but doing one thing at a time. I want to design my logo. Does anyone know of any good tutorials? I've worked on it all day.

gigi -
from myself and all the graphic designers in the world...please please please please do NOT design your logo in Photoshop. It is a pixel based program and only intended for images and such. Use a vector based program such as Illustrator. You can download a 30 day trial of CS5 now and that is the program of choice.

When it comes down to it, when you build any kind of logo in PS it will look like one big blur when enlarged. If you build it in illustrator (or similar program) you can make it the size of a football field and not lose any image quality.

BTW I am also in Arkansas and would help you with C&C, professional advice (I am a college educated designer with 12 years of experience) and my own opinion. However, I can't build it for you for free :)

I would suggest taking an hour or so at Barnes and Noble, grabbing a couple "best of the best logo books" (found in the art section) and a cup of coffee and thumb through them and sketch down some ideas you come up with.

Remember, logos work best when simple. If you have any questions or want to contact me, you can PM me at your leisure.

Maybe if you can be more specific...

Seekcreative, she could also get Inkscape for free, opensource version of Illustrator.
But do you really think, with a learning curve higher than photoshop, anyone can learn to do vector graphics?

PS4 is a really old version (1992 or so) of photoshop though I suspect you mean PS/CS4. It went up to PS 7 before they changed it to PS/CS, CS1, CS2, CS3, CS4, and recently CS5.

Adobe Photoshop is a raster graphics application and professionaly designed logos are designed using a vector graphics program like Adobe Illustrator.

The issue is scaleability. Logos made in Photoshop can pixelate when the size is changed. That doesn't happen with logos designed using a vector graphics application.

Converting your Photoshop designed logo to vector graphics could be very difficult, if not impossible.

Youtube has a lot of Photoshop tutorials.

gigi -
from myself and all the graphic designers in the world...please please please please do NOT design your logo in Photoshop. It is a pixel based program and only intended for images and such. Use a vector based program such as Illustrator. You can download a 30 day trial of CS5 now and that is the program of choice.

When it comes down to it, when you build any kind of logo in PS it will look like one big blur when enlarged. If you build it in illustrator (or similar program) you can make it the size of a football field and not lose any image quality.

BTW I am also in Arkansas and would help you with C&C, professional advice (I am a college educated designer with 12 years of experience) and my own opinion. However, I can't build it for you for free :)

I would suggest taking an hour or so at Barnes and Noble, grabbing a couple "best of the best logo books" (found in the art section) and a cup of coffee and thumb through them and sketch down some ideas you come up with.

Remember, logos work best when simple. If you have any questions or want to contact me, you can PM me at your leisure.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm so new to all of this. I want a logo that is simple but stands out. GiGi what I want as my logo and I'm not quite sure if I want to put photography in it or not. I'd love some kind of demask flower behind it.

PS4 is a really old version (1992 or so) of photoshop though I suspect you mean PS/CS4. It went up to PS 7 before they changed it to PS/CS, CS1, CS2, CS3, CS4, and recently CS5.

Adobe Photoshop is a raster graphics application and professionaly designed logos are designed using a vector graphics program like Adobe Illustrator.

The issue is scaleability. Logos made in Photoshop can pixelate when the size is changed. That doesn't happen with logos designed using a vector graphics application.

Converting your Photoshop designed logo to vector graphics could be very difficult, if not impossible.

Youtube has a lot of Photoshop tutorials.
Thanks I had no idea.

gigi -

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm so new to all of this. I want a logo that is simple but stands out. GiGi what I want as my logo and I'm not quite sure if I want to put photography in it or not. I'd love some kind of demask flower behind it.

I would suggest not putting anything behind the words, it's just tough to make out and while you may want to make an artistic statement, you really need to focus on a simple, clean, clear communication piece to the viewer.

That's just my opinion. For example, Google, McDonald's, AT&T, Nike...all recognizable logos are rather simple and clean, none have a symbol/icon behind it. Pick a logo you really like, doesnt even have to be from a photography logo, and try to figure out why it works and how you can emulate it.

Take a look at the FedEx logo and find the forward arrow in between the E and the lower case x...subtle but that's all I ever see now.

Look at her website and see how many different fonts are used on the main page.

Look at her website and see how many different fonts are used on the main page.

Bitter - I do not fault her for that. It's what I as a designer take for granted sometimes, and you as a photographer I am sure. While you and I might know what we consider basic fundamentals of photography or design respectively, that doesn't mean that the majority of people do. In fact it's always the stark opposite.

I feel people expect far too much of other people in far too many aspects of the world. Being a designer I am expected by some to know all about web design, programming, print design, logo design, branding, package design, layout, be a master photographer all while balancing 12 plates on my arms.

She is trying as best she can, website design, even though it's template based on the one she is using, is not her fault. Ignorance is not a bliss in all situations, but she definitely doesn't proclaim to be something she's not.

Youtube has excellent how to videos,I also have a website I found that helps out a lot as well.I can look it up for ya tommorrow if you would like.

Seek, I am choosing to bite my tongue, rather than respond.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back