Photo/Video Quiz!

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Had to make a quiz for my production class. Thought I might share for discussion. Feel free to answer a few or ask questions about subjects you're unsure how to answer. Will post my answers later on.

1) Latitude refers to:
A) Exposure Range
B) Dynamic Range
C) How far into the shadows and highlight a camera can “see”
D) All of the above

2) Short answer: Explain why lighting for black and white films might be harder than color.

3) True or False: Shutter Speed and Frame Rate are the same?

4) Setting ISO or GAIN will:
A) Adjust the sensitivity of the sensor to light
B) Make the pixels effectively larger so that they can gather more light (similar to film grain)
C) Boost the signal after it is captured by the sensor, affecting dynamic range

5) True of False: Transfer rates are mostly bogus marketing ploys to buy expensive cards and are not necessary for shooting at high frame rates.

6) Short answer: Aside from making something far away seem closer, why else would you want to use a longer focal length over a shorter one?

7) An extremely small aperture will increase depth of field at the expense of:
A) The amount of light available to the sensor
B) Overall sharpness and resolving power
C) Both A and B
D) Neither, a small aperture will decrease depth of field

8) Short Answer: Finally, you've made it to the big screen. Unfortunately, things don't seem to look right in the theater. Things the you focused the camera appear sharp, but oddly, some elements in the foreground and background are not. What might explain this discrepancy?

9) The difference between f-stops and t-stops is that:
A) f-stops reflects the perfect lens, while the t-stops reflect the actual amount of light transmitted through the lens, which can differ significantly.
B) f-stops are calculated using the diameter of the front of the lens, t-stops are calculated using the rear diameter.
C) There is no difference. T-stops can be converted to f-stops using a simple formula.

10) The rate of light falloff is inversely ___________.
A) Exponential
B) Logarithmic
C) Linear
D) Determined by brightness

11) True or false: A lamp that consumes 600W of energy will always produce the same amount of light, regardless of type of bulb used.

12) “Silks” are used to:
A) Diffuse light
B) Direct light
C) Focus light
D) Are not used in lighting

13) Short Answer: Fill light is used to control shadows produced by the key. What ways might one accomplish this without having the fill casting it's own shadows?

Interesting. I knew some answers, had some idea of others, and I'll admit that I am clueless about the t-stop one. And I could probably reason through #10 but I haven't had coffee yet (2 more minutes!)

Looking forward to seeing the answers.

I have nothing to add but...HI!!! Miss you!! :586:

Time's up! :) The correct answers are:

1: D
2: Black and white films are often harder to light because color adds another source of information to convey ideas within. Black and white relies on tone to convey information, which is exclusively controlled by light quality.
3: False
4: C
5: False
6: To compress space, to slow the apparent rate of a moving object approaching the audience, to decrease depth of field, to decrease distortion such as on medium or close ups of actors.
7: C
8: Because the optical component that make up the image, the circles of confusion, are uniformly enlarged upon projection regardless of focus, the threshold of apparent sharpness is decreased, thus affecting depth of field.
9: A
10: A
11: False
12: A
13: By applying diffusion, decreasing intensity or a combination of both.

Mishy - University has been fulfilling my elitism needs lately, so I haven't had a lot of motivation to come here. But then again, looking at some of the threads lately, I might just have to come back for an extra ego boost.

I failed. Miserably.

As a punishment I'm going to go home (currently at work) and force myself to play Diablo III until the bourbon makes me pass out. That ought to learn me.

I failed. Miserably.

As a punishment I'm going to go home (currently at work) and force myself to play Diablo III until the bourbon makes me pass out. That ought to learn me.
You still playing that damn game too?!!
Haha!!

To 10) I would have answered inverse square.

Yes. That is exactly why I asked it this way, to get people to think about what "inverse square" means rather than just reciting a key phrase. A square is intrinsically exponential to the power of two.

But the common meaning for exponential function is e^x , so you may deceive the definition-conscious student (although I do not know which kind of students do you have, and how much critical they are).

And the common definition of an inverse exponent, using e as base, is 1/e^x, thus, inverse square is 1/e^2.

I doubt the question will be selected for the quiz.

Stop it you two before I close this thread!!!

On number one, I'd have crossed out A through D and written "Latitude is the angular distance, north or south, of the equator." What can I say - I'm a geographer.

Most reactions

Back