Photo With both moving and still subjects - all in focus

bauers2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I am a very amateur photographer, (only use the "auto" setting), but have a nice camera - NIKON D-7000 - and 2 nice lenses - a Tokina SD 12-28 F4 (IF) DX and a NIKKOR AF-S 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR.

My daughter has asked me to take a specific type of photo of her family where 2 of the subjects in the photo are still and the other 3 subjects are jumping. The desire is for all 5 subjects to be in complete focus. The background does not, however, need to be in focus.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with the manual settings and how to achieve this type of photo.

Thank you,
Jackie

Are they all going to be about the same distance from the camera? Sort of lined up?

If you wish to stop motion, you will need a fast shutter speed (very short duration). So if this is in daylight, turn up the shutter speed to 1/1,000 of a second, and read what the aperture wants to do. If your meter is still saying "too dark", then adjust the ISO upward. Your camera can get clean shots at fairly high ISO, so don't be afraid to raise it up. Now depending on what focal length (short to medium is where I'd go) figure the depth of field to include the space where your subjects will be. (front to back like)

Some hypothetical distances; Say the group will be about 20 feet from the camera, you've got your zoom set to somewhere around 35mm focal length, and the aperture set around f/16.

Using these figures to start with, I get:

Subject distance 20 ft

Depth of field
Near limit 7.74 ft
Far limit Infinity
Total Infinite

In front of subject 12.3 ft
Behind subject Infinite

Hyperfocal distance 12.7 ft
Circle of confusion 0.02 mm

So it would appear that all subjects from 7.74 ft. to infinity would be in reasonable focus.

Now all you have to do is get the ISO and shutter speed up to where the shot freezes motion of the jumping subjects.

Most reactions

Back