Photo with my wide angle lens

Skychurch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings,

I hope this is the correct section to post this. I bought a new Rebel XT and with it, got a Sigma 10-20mm lens for wide angle photography. I was just taking photos in my back yard to check out the new lens basically to see if it was a good lens. When I first brought it up in Windows Picture Viewer, I thought I was going to send the lens back because it was very blurry. I then opened it up in IrfanView and it looked a lot better.

Would someone be so kind as to look at this photo for me and tell me what you think as far as image clarity? This is my first wide angle and I decided on the Sigma 10-20mm lens over the Canon 10-22mm because of many of the reviews I read but am willing to return this lens and buy the Canon if it is truly a better lens.

http://www.mckiel.us/images/11.jpg

The image is right out of the camera with no modifications to size or sharpness. I put the camera on a tripod, plugged in a remote so as to not induce any camera shake, set the camera for Aperture Priority, set the aperture to 8.0, lens on 10mm and let her rip.

Thanks much, I appreciate it.

Jim

Camera: Canon Rebel Xt
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm

point blank, the canon lense is much better than any third party lense. its more about weather or not youre willing to spend the money for the quality

Its not easy to tell from this image but it looks fine to me. You could take some closer up pictures of a wall with plenty of texture for example - that would make it easier.....but it looks good to me - enjoy the lens!

Hello Jim,,

To me,the leaves on the hedge in the foreground look blurry.
Also the flowers don't look too crisp.
I have just bought this lens, and I find my copy very sharp.
If you like I could post an example for comparison.

Keep in mind what the lens is for. Wide angle allows for certain effects.
The wider, the less crisp the image depending where it focuses on.
Go here to get an idea. In addition, the wide angle will have a diff. effect on the overall brightness of the image, and the overall depth of field effect. It is different fro fixed focus lenses. Just depends on how you use it.
http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=206

i bought this lens this spring and use it everytime i need wide angle shots. i've used it for real estate, weddings and bands and i love it! and actually, all the lenses i use are from sigma. their lenses are made very well and look great. i think the look on the leaves is due to the resizing of the photo, and not the lens.

steve

Most reactions

Back