PhotoBlock

Kyuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, there might be a similar post out there but I just need to get this off of my chest.

Do you guys ever get the feeling of photoblock? Like writer's block?

I feel very bored around my surroundings as far as pictures go. I need to start getting in my car on the weekends and going far away..Any of you fellow photo people get in these moods. I mean, I can only shoot around my house for so long...

The area I live in is basically houses/shopping stores/Business parks/etc. not too exciting. For me to capture any kind of decent scenery I would need to get in my car and drive somewhere far which = gas$$.

I don't know what I'm exactly trying to say here, anyone get any of this?? Maybe I just need a darn vacation!!!!:p

Yeah the car idea is the business.

Otherwise go on a treasure hunt, as in pick a subject and try to find as many examples of it as possible. You can be as broad, abstract or litual as you like. Find the number 13 in as many places as possible, look for the colour red or photograph street art.

Hope that helps?

Trying different perspectives of things you've already shot are great, but you can always go get lost, go down some street you've never been down before. I can always find pics around here, but I do get the feeling sometimes that I just want to go somewhere to shoot.

Photoblock, not as such. But I do get days where no matter what I try I come back and think, "these are all ****" "what a waste of a day" I" should have left the camera at home" etc.

Photoblock, not as such. But I do get days where no matter what I try I come back and think, "these are all ****" "what a waste of a day" I" should have left the camera at home" etc.

Yeah.. I get that too. Where the colors just aren't right or the worst, when your shooting manual, get home, and realize that you had it on ISO800 the whole time. Or had it set to indoor white balance setting!

Well, I certainly know very very well what you are talking about, and I have gone through many a moment in which I thought by myself "What now? I have photographed about each and every blade of grass around here, and no twig in any tree has remained unphotographed, what now? Where now?"

Sometimes, when hopping on the car to leave for broader fields is just not feasible for other reasons, I sit it out and let the camera lie there untouched for days, weeks. (I get withdrawal, though). And that is the time for me to look through old files and do a bit of "weeding" or "nurturing" - a bit of play with the odd pic in PS or so.

Or I just wash the windows - they usually need this to be done BADLY by the time I really do so... :roll:

OK, you don't like THAT idea?

Well... but to answer to your question: yes. I have "photographer's block" more often than I like.

And I like the idea of "self-assignments", like flicking through a dictionary, stopping at a random word (blindly) and then trying to put that into photography for a day or three days or a week or how long you want to give yourself time to solve this one. But that experiment did not work well with me, either, for I seem to be too unimaginative for some words my finger had fallen upon :roll: :oops:

But well... this is an idea.

Of course everyone gets "photo block". Visit a museum or art gallery. For me it is very inspirational. Plus it helps with line, form, colour and texture.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back