Photoessays

Nyx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to create a photo essay for college and am currently looking for website what will teach me what I need to learn to create the images I desire.

Unfortunately most websites have written essays with images to support them rather then a set of images that tell a story by themselves. If anyone knows of any websites that will provide me ideas or teach me this skill.

At the moment I have attempted to take photographs of chickens being born though it is in a sterile enviroment, incubator, other then that I am short of interesting ideas.

Thanks.
Nyx

I’m confused.

Do you want ideas for a photo essay?
Do you want ideas for a photo essay about chickens?
Do you want suggestions for pictures to include in your essay about chickens?
Do you want to know more about how to take pictures in general?
All the above?

Have you already made up your mind about a subject for your photo essay? Can you give us an idea of what the “images you desire” are? If you could tell us what your essay is to be about (ie, “A Day In The Life Of A Chicken”), then maybe we can come up with suggestions on photos to include and/or how to take them. We just need a little more info to help you.

As for the “skill” part of doing a photo essay, you’re just telling a story, but with stills. Think of a cartoon. Now think of the writer’s storyboard showing the story line and main scenes, in order, before the drawing actually begins. Your photo essay should include those same stills that a storyboard of a movie or cartoon would.

If you are not a good photographer with decent experience and set of equipment, my advice is give up the whole idea altogether. It is pretty hard to achieve a good result using just the images.
If you are, then go for it, just remeber a few things:
1)The best idea to show in most animal photography assignments is personification, trying to portray animals in a way/engaged in activities that HUMANS can relate to. Like a chicken handing a worm in its beak to an offspirng. Or 2 chickens of opposite sex cuddling together. Having said that I am assuming this is not a scientific assignment, if it is then you dont really need an idea, all you need is giving the most accurate and comprehencive details about the process of chickens being born in least possible number of images.
2)Just like any essay a photo essay needs 4 basic elements: intro, body, climax and conclusion. Well, you might leave climax out, but the other 3 are critical. Just rember that.

Photoessays can be really tricky. The best advice I can give is search the web for every photoessay you can find and try to see what they have in common. That might give you a better sense of what you need to create.

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of information. The course I am completing is called Commercial Photography. Its aim is to ensure to have a good understanding of photography in regards to light, composure, digital photography, film, use of all formats and equipment, flash, studio set up, processing and printing, ect.

So you say I have am an intermediate photographer rather than an amateur.

My question related more to compiling a photo essay and what is require to express a story with as little words as possible. Ideas would be welcome but not necessary.

Thankyou for you support.

Nyx

Are you looking for something like this?
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9214

If you're looking to tell a story through photos alone it is my opinion that emotion is key. The viewer needs to connect with the photos to be able to really feel the story. I think someone else mentioned that is this thread, find an emotion that we can all relate to. Take LOTS of pictures and select only the very best to compile. Think about what you want your story to be before you start taking the photos. Now sure if this is what you are looking for?

Most reactions

Back