Photograph Advice

Murasaki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to digcams and at the moment taking photographs of a range of things, please advise me on the following, you are welcome to edit the photographs.

Number 1 - Tokyo Aqua Line
$Aqua line.jpg

Number 2 - Shinto Bridge, Ichihara-Shi, Chiba-Ken
$Bridge.jpg

Number 3 - Shinto Shrine, Kanazawa-Ku, Kanagawa-Ken
$Shrine.jpg

Number 4 - Sakura
$Sakura 2.jpg

Number 5 - Ume
$Sakura 3.jpg

Number 6 - Sakura
$Sakura.jpg

Number 7 - No idea
$Flower 2.jpg

Number 8 - No idea
$Flower.jpg

Number 9 - Bara
$Rose.jpg

Last edited:
See your images are splendid...

But if you go through the forum you will see repeated requests not to post so much of images at a stretch, because then it will be very difficult to give guidelines or suggestions or even appreciation..... Please limit it to one , two or three....
Your images maintain good colors; compositions are good in some; i liked that wooden bridge image the best
Please number your images for easy reference

Regards :D

The first three are the most interesting by far. I would crop the reflective sign off the left side of #1.

Can someone tell me what is happening here? I took a photo of the moon a few days ago and it was nice a sharp. Last night was a Full Moon in Yokohama and using the same Shutter Speed, Aperture setting and ISO, the photos are not clear or sharp and different colours ????, the craters on the bottom of the moon cannot be seen unlike the 1st photo.

360mm
Shutter Speed 1/400
Aperture f/5.9
ISO 100

1st Photo - Clear and Sharp
$MooninYokohama (2).JPG

2nd Photo - Full Moon
$Full Moon.jpg

3rd Photo - Full Moon
$Full Moon 2.jpg

4th Photo - Full Moon
$Full Moon 3.jpg

The Full Moon Photos were take one after the other, so why the different colours?

I am thinking as there was light cloud cover that maybe the camera could not focus because of the clouds??

These photos what taken hand held, as I need to find a Tripod and all the camera shops in my city sell really cheap ones, which I do not want, so I need to travel up to Yokohama in the coming weeks.

Took more photos of the moon last night and this time you can see the craters at the top clear and sharp, but at the bottom they cannot been seen like the 1st photo in the above post.

Same Shutter Speed, Aperture and ISO ... I do not know what I am doing wrong.

$DSCN0746.JPG

$DSCN0755.JPG

In regards to your moon shots, there is little you can do about the visibility of craters. When the moon appears flat, it is being lit fully from the front. When you see the outline of craters, the light source is lightly offset, throwing visible shadows.

So, in your first moon shot, that's not really a full moon. Take a look at the left-hand edge, and you will see that it doesn't make a perfect circle. The second moon shot is closer to being circular. #1 is what is known as a Gibbous moon, while #2 is a true full moon.

As for color, this could be affected by white balance, or by atmospherics. If the moon is lower on the horizon, it will appear to be more red or yellow, and will be clearer with greater angle above the horizon.

There are too many photos in your first set to comment on all at once (I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but I'm pretty lazy and fickle myself). Don't post more than three.

#2 has the most potential. Try fiddling with the exposure time to see if you get a better result. My tiny fly brain is telling me that you over-exposed it, creating a bright area in the top, which distracts the viewer's gaze, and leaving the bridge washed-out.

It's a good effort. Keep shooting!

Last edited:
The first three are the most interesting by far. I would crop the reflective sign off the left side of #1.

OK cropping the sign out of the Aqua Line Photo, is it because the sign is the first thing that draws you in to the photography?

I like sakura also :D

I love Sakura and Ume when in flower. Both are very lovely and gives you pure happiness in your heart.

In regards to your moon shots, there is little you can do about the visibility of craters. When the moon appears flat, it is being lit fully from the front. When you see the outline of craters, the light source is lightly offset, throwing visible shadows.

So, in your first moon shot, that's not really a full moon. Take a look at the left-hand edge, and you will see that it doesn't make a perfect circle. The second moon shot is closer to being circular. #1 is what is known as a Gibbous moon, while #2 is a true full moon.

As for color, this could be affected by white balance, or by atmospherics. If the moon is lower on the horizon, it will appear to be more red or yellow, and will be clearer with greater angle above the horizon.

There are too many photos in your first set to comment on all at once (I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but I'm pretty lazy and fickle myself). Don't post more than three.

#2 has the most potential. Try fiddling with the exposure time to see if you get a better result. My tiny fly brain is telling me that you over-exposed it, creating a bright area in the top, which distracts the viewer's gaze, and leaving the bridge washed-out.

It's a good effort. Keep shooting!

Thank you so much for explaining Photographs of the moon. Some of the photographs were taking as the moon got higher in the sky. I was working from a Moon Site telling me how close the moon was at each day. Taking a photograph of the moon on the horizon the distance is further then taking a photograph of the moon above me.

Yes I have been told to post a max of 2 ~ 3 .... If not there are too many to comment on.

Now tell me how to take better photographs of foods ... The reason I have decided to jump in at the deep end is because I have been doing a Japanese Blog on cooking well my x-wife started it, It is just home recipes from Australia and around the world. Most were taken with a Canon IXY and then later a Canon Powershot .. Point and Shot. But I like to know the best way now as I have the Nikon P510 and it has 'Auto' which I have not tried yet then 'P', 'S', 'A' & 'M' plus 'U' for User settings ... in the Scene Mode it has a 'FOOD' setting but I have not tried it as of yet.

This was taken with the Canon IXY, well the top was, the bottom is me playing about with it on the Nikon Program that came with the P510, Yes I know I Need to buy photoshop.
$Playing with Photos.jpg

Tell me the best way to make all my old IXY & Powershot Photos look better. NOT dull like they are at the moment, want to get them to look more exciting.

Cooking is one thing, setting it up for a nice photograph is beyond me, as I am only a home cook and not a professional chef.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back