Photograph that? Why?

Torus34

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wandering about with a camera is one of my favorite pastimes. Add to that the fact that my Lady and I like to travel. That means that we end up in some nice places from time to time. Lots and lots of stuff to photograph.

Over the course of many trips I've stopped taking pictures of the various iconic buildings, objects and vistas of the places we visit. At least not in the 'picture postcard' sense. The reason's simple: I can easily buy a postcard. And I do.

The postcard photographer has usually managed to capture the image of the famous scene or object in just the right lighting on just the right day from just the right vantage point. Chances are very good that I won't have the same combination of circumstances. My photo won't be 'picture postcard perfect'. So I don't bother.

What I look for instead are interesting prints [I think in terms of a final matted and hung print,] of things the usual tourist, intent on seeing the sights, would miss. A pile of mixed colorful pot warp on a dock instead of the classic Motif #1 in Rockport, Mass serves as an example. Quebec City yielded a print of a parked bicycle as opposed to one of the Hotel you-know-which.

Anyone else think along these lines?

"Why then do you try to "enlarge" your mind? Subtilize it." Herman Melville, Moby Dick.

It really depends on where I am. There are some places where I will take the "iconic" photos (Rainbow Row in Charleston comes to mind)--but when I do, those are generally for my own pleasure and to remember the trip. I'd rather have MY "decent" photo of the sight than a postcard.

But for the most part, my photography tends to be different anyway, and that is true no matter where I am. I like unusual perspectives, interesting "moments of time" and especially macro, or just close-ups of things most people are taking picture of in its entirety.

Really depends on your motivation. There's "I was there" snapshootery, and then there's checklist photography (saw "that" world-famous scene, check). There's "I'm so clever" category, usually with distortion, or perspective, or weird angle. There is decorative photography, in which ones makes a pleasing image (sunset, skyline, animals in tasteful configurations, etc.). Sometimes, we come up with a unique view or vision or perspective, but for most of us that more serendipity than design. Often I shoot something that I find interesting, but the resulting image doesn't quite capture what I saw in my mind's eye. So the quest continues.

By the way, I do all of the above. Just depends on what I need at the moment.

I see something I like, I take a picture. I'm sure some will have done it already, and better too, but.. that one's mine.

I only take photos of stuff like that as mementos, and not necessarily to appease my photography itch.

Instead of saying "Wow, what a great photo," it's more about "Wow, remember that crazy thing that happened after we went here."

The photograph itself is just a catalyst for reminiscing.

Generally, I tend to ask whether the world - or even I - will need another photo of "X". As there are said to be only seven plots to a story, there are only so many photos the world - or I - will actually need. Yet we keep writing and we keep taking photos. It's the ability to show a new twist, a new line, a new angle that keeps the whole thing going.

A good many years ago, one of the network television channels promoted their summer reruns with the slogan, "If you haven't seen it yet, it's new to you".

Generally, I tend to ask whether the world - or even I - will need another photo of "X". As there are said to be only seven plots to a story, there are only so many photos the world - or I - will actually need. Yet we keep writing and we keep taking photos. It's the ability to show a new twist, a new line, a new angle that keeps the whole thing going.

A good many years ago, one of the network television channels promoted their summer reruns with the slogan, "If you haven't seen it yet, it's new to you".

I don't really give a rat's patootie whether the WORLD needs another photo of "X" or not. If *I* like it, I take a picture. Like I said, for me, I'd rather have the "okay" photo I took than the postcard of someone else's photo.
The world may not need very many of the pictures I take, but then, I didn't ask the world what it wanted, I only asked ME. :D

Now, the question of whether *I* need another photo of "X" is one I find myself asking a LOT. For instance, I love Charleston and like to go every chance I get--and I *always* find myself looking at Rainbow Row, or the Market, wanting a picture--then realize that I already have approximately 1.43 bazillion pictures of the Charleston Market, and perhaps, just perhaps, one more would be overkill. :lol:

What I look for instead are interesting prints [I think in terms of a final matted and hung print,] of things the usual tourist, intent on seeing the sights, would miss. A pile of mixed colorful pot warp on a dock instead of the classic Motif #1 in Rockport, Mass serves as an example. Quebec City yielded a print of a parked bicycle as opposed to one of the Hotel you-know-which.

Anyone else think along these lines?

I think exactly along those lines. I tend to do more street photography when I'm traveling because that's often what I'm interested in - watching people and how they live in/interact with this place where I am just a visitor.

As for the "I was here" snapshots, that's what I'll use my phone or digital p&s for. It is nice, sometimes, to remember a scene even if it is a sort of "standard" predictable shot. Everything else is shot on film.

Photograph that? Why?

Like Mt. Everest..........Because It Is There! :biggrin-93:

I agree completely. I have two friends who've traveled together more than anyone I've ever met. He takes standard tourist pictures (good ones, but the usual subjects). She said once that you couldn't look at her photos and tell where she'd been - I'm sort of like that.

I tend to take a lot of the "usual suspects". When I was in Dallas a couple years ago, I took MY version of a photo of the Texas School Box Depository in Dealey Plaza. Also bought the postcard. End of the day, my photo was better and would have been better on the postcard. Got lucky that day, I guess :)

In general, though, I don't like buying postcards and I'd much rather have my own photo.

1. I enjoy the experience of shooting them myself.
2. I enjoy pointing to them on the wall with some pride and saying, "I shot that".
3. I can and do sell them in various ways. I can't do that with photos made by others.

Most reactions

Back