Photograph the moon.

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
To shoot the moon, I used one in my canon FTB 200 mm lenses with 2 x teleconverter. Is not enough. What are the minimum lens that I have to use a 400mm? Thank you.

Yes, and use the most center part of your lens. When you crop, the center will be the sharpest part across the whole frame.

The diameter of the moon's image on the sensor is the focal length of the lens divided by 100. A 50mm lens gives a 0.5mm image and if you want to make the moon's image the full height of a full frame sensor you need 2400mm !

If you want to fill the frame without cropping, I think even 400mm will be far too short.

I think you'll want to be in the 800mm range - plus or minus. 1200mm worked pretty well for me on a camera with a 1.6x crop factor - that works out to 720mm for full frame.

The diameter of the moon's image on the sensor is the focal length of the lens divided by 100. A 50mm lens gives a 0.5mm image and if you want to make the moon's image the full height of a full frame sensor you need 2400mm !
Yeah, it would have to be pretty long... Even the 800mm I said will be pretty short.

Field of View Calculator - Rectilinear and Fisheye lenses - Bob Atkins Photography

There's a calculator there that will tell you the field of view for any focal length. I used 100 for the distance. The moon is about a third of a degree, so if you had a 1 degree vertical field of view, the moon would fill ~30% of that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412211928.199193.jpg

I used my Siggy @ 500mm and I'm pretty sure f/8 ISO 400 1/400 or thereabouts. Last year July's super moon.

That sure is a crispy critter.
It looks over sharpened, and with the Radius setting to high.

Since the moon is effectively at infinity - about 300,000 km away - you don't need to stop down to deepen DoF. Use the lens aperture that gets you the sharpest focus.

Thank you all for the information, will be very useful in my future photos.

Also, try to capture the shot when the moon is closest to the horizon
As you would't ' need as much focal length

Last edited:

Actually about 1900mm is optimal as the moon is streaking across the sky and it stays in the FOV for only a few seconds on a full frame camera. If you do anything more than 2000mm you'll have to track it in order to take a good photo. Or wait for it to come into the frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back