Photographed a football match but unhappy with results.

I use a D5200 and a Sigma 70-200 mm F/2.8. One thing I have noticed when shooting at higher shutter speeds, if I leave the OS on I will sometimes get a noticeable blur on some of the final images. It doesn't seem to happen on all of them but it does seem to happen say as much as 20-30% of the time at higher shutter speeds. At first I assumed i was simply missing the focus point, etc - but after doing some testing I discovered that if I shut the OS system off when shooting at higher shutter speeds (1/500 and up), I don't seem to experience the issue at all. The images come out nice and sharp.

I can't say for certain your seeing the same thing since your lens is a Tamron rather than a sigma - but you might want to try the same thing and shut the VC system down when shooting at higher shutter speeds. Made a world of difference for me.

I will try that out as normally am around 1/500 but up it to make sure its frozen was above 1/1000, and must say recently i was having issues around 1/800 trying to image a bird that was just walking around and was terrible images yet the focus point was right on after checking.

I use a D5200 and a Sigma 70-200 mm F/2.8. One thing I have noticed when shooting at higher shutter speeds, if I leave the OS on I will sometimes get a noticeable blur on some of the final images. It doesn't seem to happen on all of them but it does seem to happen say as much as 20-30% of the time at higher shutter speeds. At first I assumed i was simply missing the focus point, etc - but after doing some testing I discovered that if I shut the OS system off when shooting at higher shutter speeds (1/500 and up), I don't seem to experience the issue at all. The images come out nice and sharp.

I can't say for certain your seeing the same thing since your lens is a Tamron rather than a sigma - but you might want to try the same thing and shut the VC system down when shooting at higher shutter speeds. Made a world of difference for me.

I had the SAME problem with my 70-200 VR lens when shooting at fast, hand-held speeds with the VR set to ON. I had no idea what was causing the weird look to my shots. It's an inconsistent thing, so as robbins.photo mentioned, it's not an "always" kind of problem. When shooting at FAST shutter speeds under normal conditions, like standing on solid ground and shooting a football match, turn the stabilizing system to OFF; that is what the manufacturers' own web sites and manuals universally say to do!

From a technical standpoint these all look OK to me. There is no motion blur that I see.
I am not sure why on earth you are running ISO 1000 at a mid day outdoor shoot. You should be able to pull plenty enough of a shutter speed and aperture setting to keep an ISO easily under something like 400. What I do see is some missed focusing issues. Try to keep the focus point on a head. If you use something like a chest, you'll likely catch a swaying arm. And I see that in some of these shots, looks like the focus point is somewhere between the players.
From a getting a better picture standpoint you can do a few things. First thing I noticed is how high the camera seems to be. I'm not sure if you are just that much taller than the players, or if you were in the bleachers, but getting down lower would have helped all of these shots. Second, would be to pick out a single subject, and not worry about shooting such a small aperture. Third, you need much better facial contact. Soccer isn't a very action filled sport, so there isn't a real reason any of these crops need to be so wide. Get good facial contact, zoom in a little tighter, and show the actual emotion of the players and the game more.

Unffortuantly I had got rid of the problem files but wanted to use these ones for advice anyway, I was not going to ask for advice yet and wait for the next game but thought it wouldnt hurt to be little more prepare next time.
I couldnt get to 1/1600 without upping the ISO, When I dropped Aperture thought maybe it was DOF issues thats why started using between f8 and f11 to eliminate DOF issues. It was about 4pm and sun was very high and harsh but I tried lowering ISO and was coming out under exposed. Maybe it was me using spot metering caused a issue with keeping exposure OK.
There was people using the running track so was only able to kneel down every so often most the time had to either be right on the field line or the other side of track.
I done some really zoomed in ones but maybe the amateur football here was not exciting at all and looked rather alone. But will try all these tips been getting and keep practicing :)

I had the SAME problem with my 70-200 VR lens when shooting at fast, hand-held speeds with the VR set to ON. I had no idea what was causing the weird look to my shots. It's an inconsistent thing, so as robbins.photo mentioned, it's not an "always" kind of problem. When shooting at FAST shutter speeds under normal conditions, like standing on solid ground and shooting a football match, turn the stabilizing system to OFF; that is what the manufacturers' own web sites and manuals universally say to do!

I do find myself trying to hold as steady as I can so this is something I will be trying at higher speeds. Maybe from now on I will use VC only under 1/400 as I am pretty sure dont need it over that. Something I will need to remember and embed into my brain turn VC off when its not needed.

Shutter speed is fine, shooting around 5.6 would help with the backgrounds. Try shooting down the field instead of across, it will give you a cleaner background. The content is there, but the shooting position could be better. A wider aperture would help give you subject separation from the background.

Shutter speed is fine, shooting around 5.6 would help with the backgrounds. Try shooting down the field instead of across, it will give you a cleaner background. The content is there, but the shooting position could be better. A wider aperture would help give you subject separation from the background.

Thank you, when you say shooting down the field do you mean to stand behind the goal line and shoot from there? or is there a good all round place to be standing?

Shooting from the end is one of the best places to be. Even if you stay near the corner and shoot up field, it still gives you the opportunity to shoot the net.

Shooting from the end is one of the best places to be. Even if you stay near the corner and shoot up field, it still gives you the opportunity to shoot the net.

Thank you I will head behind the net next time I go there.

Haven't read the previous comments so I apologize if this has already been said, but I think your positioning had a big impact on you not liking the photos. The shadows are really harsh (understandable when shooting in the afternoon) but I think you might have been better off shooting from behind one of the goal lines. I know your football is a lot different (and in my opinion, better) than our American football, but when I shoot American football, I like to shoot from behind the goal lines. It requires longer lenses, but I feel like I get better shots. If you like shooting from the sidelines, which is perfectly understandable, I would recommend finding a spot where the lighting is less harsh and where the shadows are less likely to be so prominent.

Also, don't use IS/VC/whatever else some other companies call it while shooting sports. I find it can actually cause blur (go figure) and softness when shooting with high shutter speeds.

Most reactions

Back