Photographer #3

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I guess everyone is looking for some new shots! A few from a very casual afternoon with a fellow photographer.

C&C is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristal

27068_401748026182_551601182_5537859_5163524_n.jpg

27068_401748061182_551601182_5537866_4271691_n.jpg

27068_401748066182_551601182_5537867_4579957_n.jpg

27068_401748011182_551601182_5537856_606072_n.jpg

Yikes. #1 looks something like a catalog shot but the couch just don't make no kinda sense. #2 and 3 are really just quite silly. #4 is rather plain. They look just as you described...an afternoon with a friend. Why that places them in the "professional gallery" I'm not sure.

Yikes. #1 looks something like a catalog shot but the couch just don't make no kinda sense. #2 and 3 are really just quite silly. #4 is rather plain. They look just as you described...an afternoon with a friend. Why that places them in the "professional gallery" I'm not sure.

Wow, that's pretty harsh, and not very constructive. Are you always this much of an a$$?? (from the few posts of yours that I read, you don't need to answer that). Anyways, about the OP's photos. Using a prop like the one you used in #1 can work out very cool. I would try a wider approach so more of the background is visible and maybe stop down a little to increase the DOF. Their is also an exposure issue, it looks a little washed out to me. #2 is nice, but I would like to see the models whole face. #3 could be good but the pose just doesn't do anything for me. #4 is not exceptional, but is a nice naturally lit close up.

#2 and 3 are really just quite silly
They are cheesy but in a good way lol. Last picture I don't agree with. I really hate when people feel the need to sharpen eyes for every photo. In this case it looks odd and from her expression she looks fed up with the shoot a.k.a tired/bored.

Wow, that's pretty harsh, and not very constructive. Are you always this much of an a$$?? (from the few posts of yours that I read, you don't need to answer that).

I feel that stylistic concerns are just as important as technical ones. Technique is rarely, if ever, an end unto itself. Nothing strikes about the photos I referred to as "silly" or "plain" except the fact that that's how they feel. If what jumps out at me is not a subject for commentary, I don't know what is. I agree it's not flattering. I've had worse things said about my own work. But I think it's perfectly acceptable to voice emotional concerns or reactions, however unflattering. If you've read through so many prior posts here, you should know that this particular discussion is a dead horse anyway.

Last edited:
Looks as if you had a fun afternoon. Here's my take on the pics FWIW
#1 - too cramped and foot cut off, uneven light across the face.
#2 - I like but might need a little contrast boost.
#3 - sorry, but this one does nothing for me at all.
#4 - my favourite, but I'd remove the purple blob on the left.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, including Alpha. ;)

I have been in a terrible rut for some time now, and it shows in this work. I thought maybe trying to go more casual would pay off, but its pretty clear it didn't.

John - thanks for your comments, but I am okay with Alphas take on them. After posting here for the first time, I was creamed by some of the big dogs. It stung then, and still does now, but it makes me better in the end. I get enough pats on the back from family friends and customers, but that will never make me advance.

I think we fall n love with our images so much that they can hold us back, and thats not what I want.

Either way, the client loved them (dont they always) but I did not. So the feedback will help me for the next shot to come.

Cheers,
Kristal

Wow, that's pretty harsh, and not very constructive. Are you always this much of an a$$?? (from the few posts of yours that I read, you don't need to answer that).

I feel that stylistic concerns are just as important as technical ones. Technique is rarely, if ever, an end unto itself. Nothing strikes about the photos I referred to as "silly" or "plain" except the fact that that's how they feel. If what jumps out at me is not a subject for commentary, I don't know what is. I agree it's not flattering. I've had worse things said about my own work. But I think it's perfectly acceptable to voice emotional concerns or reactions, however unflattering. If you've read through so many prior posts here, you should know that this particular discussion is a dead horse anyway.

Fair enough.....

You are really great. I just love how you capture the moment in your camera. It looks so surreal. The photo is outstanding. The lighting is superb. Looks like something out of a Fantasy movie.You have a strong feel for contrast. I like your style, keep up the great work!!

i still don't see why you would post something like this in the professional gallery, do you see yourself as a professional? check out the beginner forum and you'll see profesionalism =)

Alpha's a little negative that's for sure, I enjoyed 2 and 3 for the reasons he didn't. I love the movement and the branches. The lighting on number 1 wasn't my favorite. Too harsh, just wait a little longer and it will be perfect.

An attractive young lady. I think the second picture in the series is excellent.

Rub, I wouldn't take Alpha's critique all that seriously. Really hate to see somebody give such a harsh critique only to find that the person offering his or her critique has a body of work that doesn't hold a candle to that of somebody like yours. That being said, I quite like #2. I'd suggest exploring this look a bit further and seeing what you come up with.

Best,
Brad

1. I don't mind the overall photo, but it does stop short of a great photo. The photo is a little washed out. I can see where you were going with it. Maybe with the prop, having her less "posed" might have worked. I like the hand by the legs, but not the hand on her shoulder.
2. I actually like two a lot. It's an interesting shot and black and white was the right choice, in my opinion.
3. sorry, this one does come off looking a bit silly in her pose.
4. This shot seem to be an ok shot, but doesn't stand out.

Being in a rut is tough. Don't let this shoot or feedback stop you from trying a casual approach again. The more you do something, the better you normally get and either way...eventually you'll shoot yourself out of a rut :)

;)
Thanks for the feedback everyone, including Alpha. ;)

1. I think we fall n love with our images so much that they can hold us back, and thats not what I want.

2. Either way, the client loved them (dont they always) but I did not. So the feedback will help me for the next shot to come.

Cheers,
Kristal

Kristal
1. that is so true, but it is good to realize this.

2. A good musician always knows when they have missed a note.

Most reactions

Back