Photographer/Place Connection

ksmattfish said:
One of my favorite photographers is Charles Jones. He lived in England in the later half of the 19th century, but wasn't "discovered" until the 1980s. He considered himself first and foremost a gardener, and even wrote a book on it and may have tended gardens of royalty. But he was also a photographer, although as far as I know he only photographed the fruits, vegetables, and plants from his gardens. He was doing amazing things with cabbage and cauliflower 30 or 40 years before Weston's famous green pepper. Unfortunately there isn't much about him on the web. There is a great book though

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556709242/102-8100066-3810518

Wow! Good call Matt. Thanks. I may have to buy that book.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hertz van Rental said:
You would be amazed at how much you can find in a small area. It's just a matter of thinking and looking.
Style is far more limiting - if a photographer maintains the same style all his pictures start to look the same. Helmut Newton is a good example. Style tends to limit your subject matter considerably more than location.
And look how much Monet found to paint in his garden.

I seem to need to defend myself here a little bit. I guess I am looking at style a little broader than say Newton. To have that little something for someone to say that kinda looks like ....
I see some photographers that have that. In color for example, someone that I admired early on was Galen Rowell. He shot all over the world, but had a certain style to his work. Ansel Adams had a style. The question is was he more known for a place or a style. I know, I know, Yosemite. But, one of his most recognized shots was from New Mexico. I see Selgado's work and recognize it, but I don't see it as limiting. I guess I am saying that maybe I am a little ADD, and would get bored with an area. But thats just me. I know slot canyons are beautiful, but I would need to get out of the ground once in a while. :)

Hertz van Rental said:
Wow! Good call Matt. Thanks. I may have to buy that book.

Keep your eyes open. Since no one has ever heard of him I often see it on clearance shelves at bookstores. I got mine for $3.

I've never really associated Ansel Adams exclusively with Yosemite. I would say the American west, because he went all over taking photos.

KevinR said:
I know slot canyons are beautiful, but I would need to get out of the ground once in a while. :)

They are beautiful, but after seeing as many photos of them as I have, I think that if I ever visit I'll leave my cameras in the car.

My buddy gave me a tip about shooting there though. There will be photogs all over the place, making it impossible to shoot (actually, I'll bring my Widelux and shoot the photogs running all over the place ;) ). So he said wait until an event happens, like a beam of light that everyone knows is going to happen at a certain time, and when they all run off to shoot the beam of light, you can get a few pics.

Yeah, I've heard its pretty crazy. And actually, with Adams, that is my point. The west is a mighty big area. A little to big to say it is a pigeon hole.

craig said:
Thanks for the tip Hertz! I will surely check out the photographers mentioned. Basically I have always been enamored with art produced in the 40's

Then you should definately check out the Hollywood portraits of Whitey Shafer, Eugene Richee, Scotty Welbourne and the great Clarence Sinclair Bull - if you haven't already.

And KevinR - defend yourself against what?
I was just pointing out that most people can't see the wood for the trees. If you look at the truly great photographers they are often more interested in the minutiae than the big view.
When you take a picture you only see what you are looking for.

As for style - all creative people develop their own 'style'. Where the problems occur is when the style becomes more important than the image.
Bob Carlos Clarke is a better example of this than Newton.
*NOT WORK SAFE* http://www.eyestorm.com/artists/
Quite an interesting site in it's own right.

And just for the complete ego trip - guess the photographers in this thread whom I have known or met :lol:

Just to clazify, the defend part was a little tongue in cheek statement. I didn't take it personnally, I just wanted to throw a little curve into the discussion.

And I think minutiae is good, I just like to look for it everywhere. :D

Most reactions

Back