Photographer under attack for photographing pothole victim

the real problem here is this guy stole my stationary exercise bike and put wheels on it before stealing it....... take another look at the pictures.....

I want it back....

humm, sorry to say that, but this actually makes YOU the responsible for the accident. ;)

...and have you seen? that thread is gone HOT now! can't touch it, tis too hot hot hot!!!
...sorry. i'm tired. really tired.

thank god you didn't post a story bout him finding a kitty and bringin' it back home safe.
...that's perversity. we all gotta have our ways to unleash it... see ya at the sado-maso next week ;)

zedin said:
This is sorta the debate I have always had with myself over photographing a situation or helping.

I wonder what sorts of internal debates a war photographer faces. No doubt some have been in situations where there was a clear choice between getting the pic and helping someone survive.

I have a book I haven't read (and that book has lots of company on my bookshelf) called Witness in Our Time: Working Lives of Documentary Photogarphers by Ken Light. IT has short articles about 18 different photographers and some of the articles appear to delve into this very question. I'll see if I can learn anything from the book, at least learn how others react.

Alexandra said:
I always thought there was something vicious or voyeuristic about snaping people just like that, but I'm over it, now i see people just don't give a damn or don't even notice cause i run quick, hehe.
Apparently that's not the case in Detroit. But It's big city, compared to Mtl... or maybe you were just too abvious

No I wasn't obvious at all as I was sitting in a car at the time, always vigilant of my surroundings. You seem to have a very light attitude about this but might be surprised to find yourself in a situation one day where someone you didn't notice notices you and what you're doing and intends to do something about it.

I don't believe that, as you say that people don't give a damn if they're photographed. That sounds like an easy way for you to rationalize your actions and do what you want. ;)

This is why photographers need to be good story tellers also.

"I was taking these photos to warn ALL the other cyclists about the dangers of potholes and driving in the rain!"
"Oh, and is that a bicycle approved umbrella?!?!" :lmao:

Tooloose_Letrek said:
No I wasn't obvious at all as I was sitting in a car at the time, always vigilant of my surroundings. You seem to have a very light attitude about this but might be surprised to find yourself in a situation one day where someone you didn't notice notices you and what you're doing and intends to do something about it.

I don't believe that, as you say that people don't give a damn if they're photographed. That sounds like an easy way for you to rationalize your actions and do what you want. ;)
yes, that's probably because such things never happened to me... Strangely, most of the time i take pictures very openly and obviously, and people just give me a smile and pass by, or think i'm a tourist or something. More often, they step aside thinking i'm trying to shoot the building or landscape behind them.
I do have a light attitude about it, but i fully understand that some people might get frustrated. that's why i try to shoot only nice people :)
But more seriously: after all, it's not like i sell those pictures or something, so it's fully legal

Alexandra said:
why, the photog hasn't done anything illegal

Maybe yes, maybe no. Remember, Chinese law (common or statutory) isn't necessarily the same as American, or Canadian common law. It may well be that, in China, you are considered to have a legal obligation to protect someone from a perceived danger.

very possible. But maybe the photog didn't know there was a pothole, maybe he was just tryin to take pics of the other guy on his bike, but it so happened that that one got into a pothole...
Ok, i'm just short of arguments. you win on that one.

what about photographers that capture war images?

I think in some countries, if you percieve a danger, it is illegal to not warn other people (without harming yourself).

Morally, I don't really like this behaviour. The photographer could've raised awareness of the pothole by putting a sign next to it, or just warning the biker. This is one of the reasons people really don't like reporters or photojournalists (I think journalists rank 4th in "dodgy people polls")

(But I admit, the images are really funny, specially when the guy is landing on his face)

must of been a fudging big pothole casue i ride bikes off road (nun of this road rubish) and it takes a big pot hole to throw you right off

Most reactions

Back