Photographers Assistant

::trainwreck::

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, this probably seems like a stupid question, but what would be the best way to go about finding an Assistant job. I feel like this would be the best way to gain some experience and knowledge.

Start knocking on the doors of studio's.

You're best chances for that kind of a job is in New York, Chicago or LA.

Frankly, if you really wanted to do it, you wouldn't be posting about it here.

Frankly, if you really wanted to do it, you wouldn't be posting about it here.

Wot?

Anyway, your location does not say much about where you are but, yes, you need to be in a larger city where there are plenty of commercial photogs. The 3 mentioned by KmH are only 3 of them, not the only ones. I did it for 2 years in DC and any larger city with businesses will work.

The think to keep in mind is that it is a job, not school. Some assistants have no desire to become photographers, they only want to be the best assistant there is. And some of those guys get paid extremely well. You will only learn photography by watching and setting things up. Some photographers are good at talking during down times and some are not. If they are you can learn then too by asking questions but don't become a pest.

If you have to move to do this, first figure out what kind of photography you ultimately want to do and then move to where most of this is happening. Then call the different pro associations and see who has a assistant program. Again, pick the one that has members doing what it is you want to do eventually. Looking at the ads from other assistants will give you an idea of what photographers are looking for. Some requirements may not come to mind just like that. For example, in Paris, France, assistants are required to have a motorcycle license...

Don't forget that until you get "up there" it may not pay that much.

Hope this helps and good luck. :D

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. It was a long time ago but I'll try and answer.

Yes, please ask away. I haven't taken the opportunity to milk cloudwalker of his information.

Go ahead and ask musicaleCA. I'm sure the OP won't mind if you make me think of other important considerations. Just keep in mind that I said it was a long time ago.

I'll dig up this thread again if I think of specific questions. My brain is kinda fried from the reno today. :meh:

Renovations. Moved into a condo recently. Haven't been shooting nearly as much as I want to, and I can't organize shoots until I've got my desk-space back (it's a psychological thing; I can't keep a schedule straight from an air mattress :lol: ).

Okay, I'm done threadjacking now. :greenpbl:

I wish I could afford a condo humph :(

Assisting is a great start and cloudwalker hit the nail on the head. I should also mention jobs were more available in the film daze. Mostly because a little more work and a lot more running around was involved.

I assisted the whole time I was in college. Hated most of it. As I look back I learned a lot and those skills have made me the photographer that I am today.

Being in a major market is going to help tremendously.

Love & Bass

I should also mention jobs were more available in the film daze. Mostly because a little more work and a lot more running around was involved.

Can you explain that. Not that I intend to do that again but I'm curious as to why that would be.

I should also mention jobs were more available in the film daze. Mostly because a little more work and a lot more running around was involved.

Can you explain that. Not that I intend to do that again but I'm curious as to why that would be.

The studios I worked for shot mostly 4x5 and 8x10 film. I spent countless hours loading said film. Also spent a lot of hours literally running to the lab to the get the film processed. And of course shooting large format is easier with 2 people

I am sure Large format film is still shot. Just not to the degree that it was 20 years ago.

Love & Bass

The studios I worked for shot mostly 4x5 and 8x10 film. I spent countless hours loading said film. Also spent a lot of hours literally running to the lab to the get the film processed. And of course shooting large format is easier with 2 people

I am sure Large format film is still shot. Just not to the degree that it was 20 years ago.

Love & Bass

Thanks for answering.

I did think about the running to the lab but I never had to do it myself. My two photogs used couriers for that. It was cheaper. :lol:

But you are right about the film loading. My guys only shot 35mm and MF but at 10-20 rolls per session it was still a lot of loading.

Most reactions

Back