Photographer's Code of Ethics Vs Subject's privacy. I would really like some answers.

I take a beating so I could have a new camera, new lenses, new motorcycle, new car, new house, and money for suing the **** out of someone for assaulting me and destroying my property. I'd sit there and smile like Brad Pitt getting waxed in Fight Club.

Or you would simply get shot for pissing off the wrong person proving the point of being the village idiot. I would hope that common sense would keep you out of these types of situations, people don't always need much of a reason to be violent. Sticking a camera in the face of the wrong person, would be just that kind of reason.

Again, I'm sorry that the fact that I would stand up for my rights makes you mad enough that you want to insult me. If you don't like it, I'm sure there's forums out there that will delete any posts that don't conform to their rainbows and unicorns standards.

Dude, I think you are trying to put laws and rights before common sense and respect. Show some people some respect and they will respect you which might mean better photos

-Please ignore typos I'm currently on my phone-

Be careful in America, many of us have carry permits =)

Everywhere I look, people are saying that photographers have the right to take whatever pictures they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, even if the subject of their photo is explicitly asking for photos to not be taken. The answers given tends to be on the photographer's side.

Is there absolutely no laws against somebody ramming a camera in my face and flashing me blind?

I have a serious problem when it comes to internet privacy, especially with facebook. Some 'friends of friends' have been going way over the top with photography. You know who I'm talking about -- you see 200 random snap shots from their updates on a daily basis, ranging from an old man at the bus stop to gum stuck under the table. These people are documenting everything that happens at any social gathering that I try to enjoy myself at, but notices several hours later that they have uploaded and tagged me, in a detail account of the exact amount of crackers, cake slices, or even sips of drinks I've taken.

Each time they point the camera my way, I politely ask them not to take a picture of me because I don't want pictures of me being spammed online, and each time they brush me off.

I'll admit that I'm not at all a photographer, so I really don't know most of the terminologies -- but other than the feeling of breached privacy, and a lack of trust, the constantly flashing is also rather irritating. Especially when the brightness burns into your eyes in the middle of a conversation. I find it rather rude, and have tried many times to ask certain people to, well, quit it. As you can probably tell, they haven't yet.

I really think I need outside help, from people who are professionals. No amount of talking or asking these people politely is at all doing the trick.

And a stupid question, can I send them a legal invoice for using me as a model and get paid for modelling or something? Not that I expect to get paid, but I'd hope that something like that would send them a message that I seriously don't want to be ninja-photographed and blinded every ten seconds.

Anything that is short of ripping their camera out of their hands and smashing it into a million pieces, I am willing to give it a try.

Thank you so much in advance!

Now, I've got to respond to this because it is too funny. However, I do not need to read/feel like reading all the darn pages of previous answers, so here's my take.

Get yourself some real friends.

Or, as they say, one has the friends one deserves. Shoot, probably not what you wanted to hear.

Everywhere I look, people are saying that photographers have the right to take whatever pictures they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, even if the subject of their photo is explicitly asking for photos to not be taken. The answers given tends to be on the photographer's side.

Is there absolutely no laws against somebody ramming a camera in my face and flashing me blind?

I have a serious problem when it comes to internet privacy, especially with facebook. Some 'friends of friends' have been going way over the top with photography. You know who I'm talking about -- you see 200 random snap shots from their updates on a daily basis, ranging from an old man at the bus stop to gum stuck under the table. These people are documenting everything that happens at any social gathering that I try to enjoy myself at, but notices several hours later that they have uploaded and tagged me, in a detail account of the exact amount of crackers, cake slices, or even sips of drinks I've taken.

Each time they point the camera my way, I politely ask them not to take a picture of me because I don't want pictures of me being spammed online, and each time they brush me off.

I'll admit that I'm not at all a photographer, so I really don't know most of the terminologies -- but other than the feeling of breached privacy, and a lack of trust, the constantly flashing is also rather irritating. Especially when the brightness burns into your eyes in the middle of a conversation. I find it rather rude, and have tried many times to ask certain people to, well, quit it. As you can probably tell, they haven't yet.

I really think I need outside help, from people who are professionals. No amount of talking or asking these people politely is at all doing the trick.

And a stupid question, can I send them a legal invoice for using me as a model and get paid for modelling or something? Not that I expect to get paid, but I'd hope that something like that would send them a message that I seriously don't want to be ninja-photographed and blinded every ten seconds.

Anything that is short of ripping their camera out of their hands and smashing it into a million pieces, I am willing to give it a try.

Thank you so much in advance!

Now, I've got to respond to this because it is too funny. However, I do not need to read/feel like reading all the darn pages of previous answers, so here's my take.

Get yourself some real friends.

Or, as they say, one has the friends one deserves. Shoot, probably not what you wanted to hear.

I have my facebook friends, which is a limited number, and I have my day to day friends which is also a limited number and most are the same.

But it's not in a public setting...

Yea.. but it isn't YOUR house, right? So only the owner of the house can set the rules... as to what is acceptable and what isn't!

Wait, wait, so then it falls on the owner of the house to press charges if anything even is to happen?

If you are gonna react like this everytime someone takes a picture of you, I suggest Amish country.

Most reactions

Back