Photographer's Code of Ethics Vs Subject's privacy. I would really like some answers.

kyonkon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Everywhere I look, people are saying that photographers have the right to take whatever pictures they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, even if the subject of their photo is explicitly asking for photos to not be taken. The answers given tends to be on the photographer's side.

Is there absolutely no laws against somebody ramming a camera in my face and flashing me blind?

I have a serious problem when it comes to internet privacy, especially with facebook. Some 'friends of friends' have been going way over the top with photography. You know who I'm talking about -- you see 200 random snap shots from their updates on a daily basis, ranging from an old man at the bus stop to gum stuck under the table. These people are documenting everything that happens at any social gathering that I try to enjoy myself at, but notices several hours later that they have uploaded and tagged me, in a detail account of the exact amount of crackers, cake slices, or even sips of drinks I've taken.

Each time they point the camera my way, I politely ask them not to take a picture of me because I don't want pictures of me being spammed online, and each time they brush me off.

I'll admit that I'm not at all a photographer, so I really don't know most of the terminologies -- but other than the feeling of breached privacy, and a lack of trust, the constantly flashing is also rather irritating. Especially when the brightness burns into your eyes in the middle of a conversation. I find it rather rude, and have tried many times to ask certain people to, well, quit it. As you can probably tell, they haven't yet.

I really think I need outside help, from people who are professionals. No amount of talking or asking these people politely is at all doing the trick.

And a stupid question, can I send them a legal invoice for using me as a model and get paid for modelling or something? Not that I expect to get paid, but I'd hope that something like that would send them a message that I seriously don't want to be ninja-photographed and blinded every ten seconds.

Anything that is short of ripping their camera out of their hands and smashing it into a million pieces, I am willing to give it a try.

Thank you so much in advance!

So you come onto a "photography" forum, full of "photographers" and ask this?

Have you seen yourself spammed all over the internet? Have you even seen one picture of yourself out there other than your facebook page?

kyonkon said:
Everywhere I look, people are saying that photographers have the right to take whatever pictures they want, whenever they want, wherever they want, even if the subject of their photo is explicitly asking for photos to not be taken. The answers given tends to be on the photographer's side.

Is there absolutely no laws against somebody ramming a camera in my face and flashing me blind?

I have a serious problem when it comes to internet privacy, especially with facebook. Some 'friends of friends' have been going way over the top with photography. You know who I'm talking about -- you see 200 random snap shots from their updates on a daily basis, ranging from an old man at the bus stop to gum stuck under the table. These people are documenting everything that happens at any social gathering that I try to enjoy myself at, but notices several hours later that they have uploaded and tagged me, in a detail account of the exact amount of crackers, cake slices, or even sips of drinks I've taken.

Each time they point the camera my way, I politely ask them not to take a picture of me because I don't want pictures of me being spammed online, and each time they brush me off.

I'll admit that I'm not at all a photographer, so I really don't know most of the terminologies -- but other than the feeling of breached privacy, and a lack of trust, the constantly flashing is also rather irritating. Especially when the brightness burns into your eyes in the middle of a conversation. I find it rather rude, and have tried many times to ask certain people to, well, quit it. As you can probably tell, they haven't yet.

I really think I need outside help, from people who are professionals. No amount of talking or asking these people politely is at all doing the trick.

And a stupid question, can I send them a legal invoice for using me as a model and get paid for modelling or something? Not that I expect to get paid, but I'd hope that something like that would send them a message that I seriously don't want to be ninja-photographed and blinded every ten seconds.

Anything that is short of ripping their camera out of their hands and smashing it into a million pieces, I am willing to give it a try.

Thank you so much in advance!

Laws vary from place to place.

Are these people your friends?? Or friends/family of friends? These people aren't really photographers per se - just people taking everyday snapshots?

From what i understand In the US you can take pictures of people in places where there is no expectation of privacy. If you are on private property at a party it's still kind of fair game. As long as the people aren't trying to sell their pictures for commercial use then I don't think they need your permission and you can't invoice them.

The people should respect your privacy though. If you ask them not to take pictures they shouldn't. If you ask them not to post online they shouldn't. Especially if they are acquaintances.

Certain situations aside, if you're in a public place you can be photographed without permission. Your likeness can be used for non-profit (Facebook) and there isn't much legal recourse unless your image is being used to slander, inflame etc.

Most photographers should respect your desire to be anonymous and retract any photo or tag if requested.

Well, ramming a camera in someone's face or seriously interfering with someone's activities through extremely aggressive photography have resulted in assault charges in some areas along with convictions in some courts.

skieur

What country are you in?
In the US if you have a reasonable expectation of privacy-inside your home, back yard, etc. then they have to have a release. If you are in public? you have no expectation of privacy.
I have no idea where you are finding all of these invasive photographers. I've been in the industry for nearly all of my life and I haven't run into any photographer who is rude or invasive when told no. Sounds to me like you are a bit beyond pissy about the whole thing.

To answer:
I'm from Canada, so I'm not sure how privacy laws differ, especially in photography.

We're chilling at our friend's rec room in their basement, even though we're there pretty often, I don't think we can call it a 'public place' per se.

I'd say they're not photographers. They have some expensive toys, but as far as I know they don't have any formal training. They're friends of friends that I really don't care to get to know better.

I can't say for sure they were used for slander, but I know one of the girls was rather upset when several people started posting comments that mocked her weight. It snowballed and the comments weren't remove, to my knowledge. In the uploader's comments sections, these people have made some rather lewd and inappropriate suggestions and descriptions, especially towards female friends.

Each time they point the camera my way, I politely ask them not to take a picture of me

Our obsession with protecting our "image" (literal meaning) from cameras in a public place when there is absolutely no expectation of privacy is as stupid as our ancestors who believed that the camera captured our souls. Society is really walking in reverse.

This is not a photographers' issue.
This is an issue with the friends your friends have.
They would be A**holes with or without a cell phone or a camera, those things just makes it worse.

Each time they point the camera my way, I politely ask them not to take a picture of me

Our obsession with protecting our "image" (literal meaning) from cameras in a public place when there is absolutely no expectation of privacy is as stupid as our ancestors who believed that the camera captured our souls. Society is really walking in reverse.

But it's not in a public setting...

Best solution?

Dont go ... or find better "friends" who will tell their "friends" to cool it.. or leave!

You don't have a problem with photographers, You're friends are just a-holes. Unfortunately there aren't many anti-Douchebag laws on either side of the border

Yea.. but it isn't YOUR house, right? So only the owner of the house can set the rules... as to what is acceptable and what isn't!

Yea.. but it isn't YOUR house, right? So only the owner of the house can set the rules... as to what is acceptable and what isn't!

Wait, wait, so then it falls on the owner of the house to press charges if anything even is to happen?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back