photographers in general, are they friendly?

urameatball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lawrenceramps.com
I use to have some other hobbies where whenever you meet someone else with the same interests, you'll say "hi" and maybe chat for a little.

But with photographers, I've met 2 in the streets and none of them responded to my "hi". both of them were just shooting the same events that I was shooting and had really professional looking camera and lenses and had their lowepro backpacks with them. I had a backpack, 50mm lens and 10D so I looked more amateurish, but not that amateurish (I hope).
anyway, HOW RUDE!

whenever we see other "photographers" on the street, they say hi, we chat for awhile ... talk about different cameras (usually thier talking about going digital :p ) ... nothing but friendly responses...

even from "non-photo enthusiasts" ... they ask, "are u a professional photographer?"

i think it's like anything else... there are friendly people and there are not-so-friendly people. if you're lucky, you don't have to deal much with the latter. the only other photographers i'm generally around are either my professors or fellow students. a couple of the professors can be sort of pretentious at times, but once you've gotten past that they're pretty much nice guys. there are some students though who think their you-know-what doesn't stink and most of the time those people don't produce the kind of work you'd expect from someone who seems to think they're all high and mighty like that. so, i tend to just avoid those people as much as possible.

really no different than anything else in life; photographers are people too and are subject to the same differences as other people.

some possible reasons:

1) terribly anti social
2) they are there on an official, paid assignment and couldn't afford to be bothered
3) afraid that you, or someone else, would find out that they really suck

i've met some certified social reject photographers, but i've also met some fabulous people. when it comes to complete strangers, i'll say 'hi' with no expectations. i won't let a response or lack thereof ruin my day.

motcon said:
i've met some certified social reject photographers

Hey, when did we meet?! I don't remember that... :p

Well for me, I'm both shy and an introvert, and I really don't like people being around when I'm taking pictures, it's almost like a complex I have, it makes me really uneasy and insecure, so if it was me, I probably wouldn't seem very friendly either, because I would just be crawling into my mental hole...

I can attest to being from an entire family of socially rejected photographers, if you come to Columbia, SC...be afraid, be very afraid.

md

Most reactions

Back