Photographers' paranoia

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have you ever run into any photographers that, when you approached them to enquire about where exactly a shot of theirs was taken or the location of a certain area, they acted totally selfish and paranoid to the point of obviously lying to you in the face and trying to avoid the question? Some may even openly say it's their secret. Others may act like total douches and say something along the lines of "sure, I shot this in Rio de Janeiro, if you've got the eye for photography, I'm sure you will find it. If not, nevermind. No one helped me out when I started. You gotta go out there and find it yourself."

Any thoughts as to why people behave like that? Are they scared others will go to the same location and shoot it better than he did? But no two photos can be the same, don't they know that? What's the point in being deliberately vague about it? Do they think they will be considered rude if they simply say no and therefore come up with ****ty photographic "philosophies" like the one I mentioned above?

I had such an experience about a month ago. How about you guys?

because everyone knows it's the gear that makes the photographer.

Some people are not nice, others are not that social and some just really don't want to talk to you.

It's not a photographer unique thing its a people thing.

talking about me? huh :confused:

Sounds more like a psychology related question than a photography related question.

I'm sure there's a multitude of reasons that a person would act in such a way. The reasons you listed might be it or there might be others.

because everyone knows it's the gear that makes the photographer.
nice one liner. Care to elaborate a bit? I really don't see how what you wrote pertains to the question.

Not at all. I don't remember ever asking you anything.

Well, in my thread someone asked me where the place is and I didn't tell. I told that it's far away from his location. You also post your opinion in that thread so I figured maybe it's about that...who knows...

But if we're talking seriously, I never understood why people are not willing to share information.

Not at all. I don't remember ever asking you anything.

Well, in my thread someone asked me where the place is and I didn't tell. I told that it's far away from his location. You also post your opinion in that thread so I figured maybe it's about that...who knows...

But if we're talking seriously, I never understood why people are not willing to share information.
Don't worry. I wouldn't sneak around your back and start a thread elsewhere. I would simply post my reaction in there, but now that you've told me, why would you not tell the person where you shot the image rather than saying it is "far away from his location"? Is it because you thought the person may never visit that place?

....but now that you've told me, why would you not tell the person where you shot the image rather than saying it is "far away from his location"? Is it because you thought the person may never visit that place?

OK, this is from the mentioned thread

Wow, lucky to live in such a place ..

May i ask where the location is ?

Oh no, no photaholic... I keep it as a secret :)

It's far far away from you though. In a country you probably didn't even heard of.

I seriously doubt that any of you will come in my country.

Personally, I would like anyone to come but unless you're a fly fisher I doubt you'll consider it.

Wow, you're so mysterious. I so want to visit your unknown country now and uncover your secrets to photography.

I can honestly say that I have never had anyone react at all that way to me, nor have I ever acted like that towards someone else.

I'd bet my last dollar that it is, at best, uncommon...

I wish a fellow photographer would come up to me and start talking to me, heck even a Nikon user would be good.

You ought to see the way salmon fishermen react to that type of location question! Answers like, "Oh, in the river," or "Oh, out in the ocean!" Or "Somewhere between 50 and 15 miles from here," are reasonably normal.

Most reactions

Back