Photographers Permit?

DarknGorgeous

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend had asked if I could take some pictures of her and her boyfriend. She wants to have them taken at Gardens at Heather Farm and it says I would need a photographers permit in order to do this.

What is a photographers permit and how much would it cost to get one?

A friend had asked if I could take some pictures of her and her boyfriend. She wants to have them taken at Gardens at Heather Farm and it says I would need a photographers permit in order to do this.

What is a photographers permit and how much would it cost to get one?

Call Heather Farm and ask.

What is Heather Farms? Generally speaking permits are only required if you have a production crew. I.e lights, grip, assistants, mua, stylist. Look into the regs closely. Fines are hefty for those who do not comply.

Love & Bass

Wow you are close, I'm in martinez. Not sure how they do it there but I know when I went to Santa Monica two years ago for E3 the city charged for permits to shoot on the pier and on the beach, they were pretty pricey.

What is Heather Farms? Generally speaking permits are only required if you have a production crew. I.e lights, grip, assistants, mua, stylist. Look into the regs closely. Fines are hefty for those who do not comply.

Love & Bass

Why would you pay a fine? Taking photos is not illegal.

skieur

Taking photos is not illegal. Here on CA beaches a permit is recommended when shooting with a crew.

From Newport Beach City Council:

"Film permits are required for any film activity that occurs within the City. Film activity would be considered to be still photography, film or video production. A film permit must be obtained from the film liaison's office prior to the start of production. The film liaison can be reached at (949) 675-8888 or by cellular phone at (714) 801-5553. Those numbers again are (949) 675-8888 and (714) 801-5553. A film permit will not be issued until the applicable permit fees are paid and approved by the Revenue Manager. Film permit fees are stated in the Master Fee Schedule . If you are unable to reach the film liaison and need additional information, you can contact the Revenue Manager at 949-644-3141."

At some point you have to decide if you want to play ball with the law or not. I am sure this does not pertain to the average GWC, but if you are being paid $2,000 a day for a commercial shoot on CA beaches the state of CA needs to be paid and your shoot needs to be approved.

Love & Bass

"Film permits are required for any film activity..."
Well, there you go! When "busted" for not having a "film permit", ask them to show where you put the film in a digital SLR camera :mrgreen:

There is a private school here with lovely gardens, which aren't cheap, and they have legal protection against photos taken in the school without permission. Students are the school have permission.

There was a tree with unusual blossoms and I wanted to take some photos. I went in and asked, was shuttled to another office and asked and then to another office. I told the young man what I wanted and he said, "No problem." He went on to explain that they rent the gardens to photographers for wedding photos and so forth and that type of photography is their concern. I thanked them, got my pictures, and left. I spent maybe fifteen minutes getting permission.

I'm assuming the gardens at Heather Farms are a private concern and suspect it might be something similar.

Oh, and sometimes taking photos is illegal and you will pay a fine. Most often you're told to leave.

Taking photos is not illegal. Here on CA beaches a permit is recommended when shooting with a crew.

From Newport Beach City Council:

"Film permits are required for any film activity that occurs within the City. Film activity would be considered to be still photography, film or video production. A film permit must be obtained from the film liaison's office prior to the start of production. The film liaison can be reached at (949) 675-8888 or by cellular phone at (714) 801-5553. Those numbers again are (949) 675-8888 and (714) 801-5553. A film permit will not be issued until the applicable permit fees are paid and approved by the Revenue Manager. Film permit fees are stated in the Master Fee Schedule . If you are unable to reach the film liaison and need additional information, you can contact the Revenue Manager at 949-644-3141."

At some point you have to decide if you want to play ball with the law or not. I am sure this does not pertain to the average GWC, but if you are being paid $2,000 a day for a commercial shoot on CA beaches the state of CA needs to be paid and your shoot needs to be approved.

Love & Bass

OK, so that makes sense, legally and otherwise, but the converse means that without a crew, you can legally do a shoot on the beach.

It is the presence of the crew and perhaps all the related equipment that necessitates the permit and that relates to movie work on the streets as well, but don't confuse that with straight photography without all the crew.

skieur

Last edited:
Oh, and sometimes taking photos is illegal and you will pay a fine. Most often you're told to leave.

You just don't get it. Taking photos is NEVER illegal and if you pay a fine, you are dumb.

skieur

You just don't get it. Taking photos is NEVER illegal and if you pay a fine, you are dumb.

skieur

No you just don't get it. This wasn't a question about the legality of taking photographs. This was a question about getting a permit to shoot on private property. A very common thing when someone or some entity has gone out of their way to create and or maintain a location that happens to be very a desirable environment for photography.

Usually to offset the costs of repairing the damage from idiots who believe that because they have a camera they can do anything they want, where ever they want, when ever they want, to get any shot that they want, private property or not.

No you just don't get it. This wasn't a question about the legality of taking photographs. This was a question about getting a permit to shoot on private property. A very common thing when someone or some entity has gone out of their way to create and or maintain a location that happens to be very a desirable environment for photography.

Usually to offset the costs of repairing the damage from idiots who believe that because they have a camera they can do anything they want, where ever they want, when ever they want, to get any shot that they want, private property or not.

Read PatrickT's post: "Sometimes taking photos is illegal."...so YES, in response to that statement it WAS a question of the legality of taking photographs.

skieur

Read PatrickT's post: "Sometimes taking photos is illegal."...so YES, in response to that statement it WAS a question of the legality of taking photographs.

skieur

First the OP's question was not about legality of taking photos. Second, yes it can be illegal to take photographs. If you don't believe me come on down and I will take you to the local Air Force base and you just start snapping away.

Before you do you might want to let your friends know you will be changing your name from skieur to 10945-C67.:lol:

First the OP's question was not about legality of taking photos. Second, yes it can be illegal to take photographs. If you don't believe me come on down and I will take you to the local Air Force base and you just start snapping away.

Before you do you might want to let your friends know you will be changing your name from skieur to 10945-C67.:lol:

I assumed he was talking about in parks and other areas open to the public, not anything of a military secret nature or for that matter in washrooms or change rooms either where other laws can be applied.

By the way, generally speaking only sections of air force bases can't be photographed and they would probably not let you near them anyway. I also by the way have numerous photos of a military base and various sorties from Afganistan which I used in a Remembrance Day presentation.
Obviously, no restrictions on their use.

skieur

Most reactions

Back