PHOTOGRAPHERS RIGHTS!

That is MUCH easier said than done, Charlie.
I tried when I met him in person in London in August.
To no avail...

How many times have people honestly been yelled at for taking pictures? Is it really that much of a problem?
It can definitely happen. Quite often uninformed people who are "in charge" (ie, security guards) will attempt to shake someone down with a camera, when they are quite within their rights. It can be very useful to keep a copy of your rights (specific to your country) in your camera bag if you are ever challenged by an individual like that.

Of course, if you're in a dark alley or trespassing, it's best to just turn and run like hell. :lol:

That is MUCH easier said than done, Charlie.
I tried when I met him in person in London in August.
To no avail...

It's a damn shame Hertz brought a lot to the table. I usually disagreed but I usually got a little different prespective on what I was doing to.

I can't say that about a lot of people here.

How many times have people honestly been yelled at for taking pictures? Is it really that much of a problem?
Yes, absolutely. Here in Los Angeles it's a problem almost everywhere. Even the "public" places are usually private property, including the sidewalk. For instance: Disney Hall, by Frank Gehry, is private property, and a person is only allowed to shoot hand-held. The minute you set up a tripod someone will come and effectively push you away. Officially it's an "evacuation hazard" and subsequently a liability. However, they like to control their intellectual property (read: receive licensing and location fees) because the building is an extremely popular site for production. They just don't want to forfeit the revenue.

Other places don't allow shooting because they think i'm part of the paparazzi, or a health inspector, or part of "La Migra" (Imigration and Naturalization Services) or simply have goods that they're selling that are *just like* real Gucci bags. Then finally there is a LOT of people in this town who think they're going to be very successful some day and act as if they're already famous. These same people spend all day at the gym (TV, air conditioning, and other good looking people, beat's their room at the shared appartment off Fairfax) so they get very belligerent if they somehow walk into my shot.

And don't even get me started about shooting the harbor or the airport. Sheesh.

Oh, and none of these photographers' rights mean anything to any of these people. If I'm going to wave around a laminated print-out, they're still going to call the cops, or kick my butt, or both. And the cops have actual work to do, so if they DO show up they're going to make their life easy and just tell me to go away. There's people getting robbed, raped and killed. As much as they would probably like to defend my constitutional rights (or whatever the Queen grants you over in the UK) they're not going to spend a lot of their time on my Rights

Yes, absolutely. Here in Los Angeles it's a problem almost everywhere.

Oh, and none of these photographers' rights mean anything to any of these people. ............kick my butt, ......etc....

Wow. Sounds like a real pain. I can't imagine you'd want to have to carry around any more gear, but I think if I had to be afraid of someone putting their hands on me, just because I used a camera (or for any other reason), I'd take the time to get a CCW.

Yes, absolutely. Here in Los Angeles it's a problem almost everywhere. Even the "public" places are usually private property, including the sidewalk. For instance: Disney Hall, by Frank Gehry, is private property, and a person is only allowed to shoot hand-held. The minute you set up a tripod someone will come and effectively push you away. Officially it's an "evacuation hazard" and subsequently a liability. However, they like to control their intellectual property (read: receive licensing and location fees) because the building is an extremely popular site for production. They just don't want to forfeit the revenue.

Other places don't allow shooting because they think i'm part of the paparazzi, or a health inspector, or part of "La Migra" (Imigration and Naturalization Services) or simply have goods that they're selling that are *just like* real Gucci bags. Then finally there is a LOT of people in this town who think they're going to be very successful some day and act as if they're already famous. These same people spend all day at the gym (TV, air conditioning, and other good looking people, beat's their room at the shared appartment off Fairfax) so they get very belligerent if they somehow walk into my shot.

And don't even get me started about shooting the harbor or the airport. Sheesh.

Oh, and none of these photographers' rights mean anything to any of these people. If I'm going to wave around a laminated print-out, they're still going to call the cops, or kick my butt, or both. And the cops have actual work to do, so if they DO show up they're going to make their life easy and just tell me to go away. There's people getting robbed, raped and killed. As much as they would probably like to defend my constitutional rights (or whatever the Queen grants you over in the UK) they're not going to spend a lot of their time on my Rights

Sorry, but I have to take issue with one of the points (in red above) you brought up. As a 25 year member of law enforcement in a medium size city, enforcing the law, all laws, is the duty we have sworn to do. Part of every oath of office includes the phrase "and the constitution and laws of the United States of America." It is just as easy for me to tell the so called offended person(s) that it is not their sidewalk and that you have every right to be there as it is to tell you to move along. As long as you are in the right. If you are three feet into their flower bed, well tought $#*&, you get to move along.

I won't speak for L.A. but here public property is PUBLIC PROPERTY. That includes at least a portion of the sidewalk in the downtown or congested areas. The portion that is next to the building may or may not be depending on the city right of way, but the area next to the curb always is. If you do not stand up for your rights, that is when you are in danger of losing them. Don't let that happen.

Well, gryphonslair99, that's a noble sentiment, and I'm glad to hear it. I bet even members of LAPD would tell you that, esp. during their off-time while pursuing their hobby on a forum on the internet. However, my experience has been that when in the field, they ultimately make a decision based on what is the fastest way to resolve a dispute. The first attempt will be to make the person go away. The second will be to use a phrase like "not cooperating."

Look, in LA most people look at the PD as some kind of *******. I am actually a supporter of the PD, and like most of the ones I've met. I think they get a bad rap, esp. in light o the risks they face. But I have no illusions about how they handle these things.

I'm happy to hear it is different where you are. Where is that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back