Photographers rights....

Internet access is very common, and is so common in fact that it's considered just another utility like power, water, or phone.

Link? In which Western nations has Internet service become a utility? Internet access is still controlled by independent corporations, that simply pay for access to Tier 1 service providers. Methinks you are confused about what a utility is.

Actually I know full well what a utility is. Internet access is not technically a utility, but the proliferation of it can be likened to one. In other words, many people consider it to be a utility (myself included) because it's simply so common, which is the point I was trying to make in my previous post.

Rather than argue over what constitutes a utility, let's move back on topic shall we?

At any rate, the OP had the right to take photographs under their policy. He wasn't a professional. You see, if the policy stated that but left the definition of "professional" open to interpretation, the policy is unenforcible. And the situation reverts to what I said before; yes, they can bar you from access, but only with a full refund given the vagaries of their photography policy.

In the U.S., once you are on private property, your "right" to take photographs turns into a privilege that can be denied at the will of the property owner. End of story. The purchase of a ticket to see a show at a private venue does not grant the purchaser the privilege to take photographs inside. Nor does the non-disclosure of specific policies regarding photography in the venue.

In other words, it's your responsibility to find out if they allow so-called "professional" level cameras or not. They don't have to hold your hand and explain all their policies to you when you buy the ticket. Plus, the venue reserves the right to change their policies when ever they want, without notice. After all, it's their policy.

Furthermore, cameras with detachable lenses are generally considered "professional," especially by the layperson, and most times are not allowed into such venues. See the quote from the Rose Quarter camera policy I posted earlier as an example. Whether or not the camera's user is a "professional" is irrelevant, as it's the grade of equipment the user possesses that's the venue's concern (and the concern of the talent performing there). Arguing over the definition of "professional" will get you nowhere. You're grasping at straws here.

People aren't required to have Internet access, and no where in my post did I say they were, but thanks for implying.

No you did not say it. But your post implies it. Not me.

My post only implies that using the Internet to locate information is quick and easy. Nothing more.

People aren't required to have Internet access, and no where in my post did I say they were, but thanks for implying. Internet access is very common, and is so common in fact that it's considered just another utility like power, water, or phone. Since nearly everyone in modern Western societies has either Internet access in their homes, access to it at work, or through a local library or school, it is assumed that would be the first place to go for more information.

[snip]

At any rate, there's always a phone number to call to verify policies. Oh wait, this assumes everyone has a phone...

You know, I was once rather shocked to discover that some parts of the US didn't have touch tone on their phone systems... this was actually not all that long ago.

I bet you would be quite amazed to know the kinds of things that people in our COUNTRY, let alone the world, do not have access to.

It's funny how spoiled we are... internet likened to running water. I say this seriously laughing, because I would basically saw my arm off before I bought a house where I couldn't get high speed internet. Sometimes I think our priorities are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of whack. :lol:

Yes, some parts of the country lag behind others in terms of technology roll-outs. My girlfriend's sister's boyfriend's parents (heh) were only recently able to get high-speed Internet. And they don't get cell phone service. But they live in a small town in eastern Oregon with a population of something like 100, so it's to be expected. :lol:

I do realize that we in Western societies are very fortunate to have what we do, especially compared to many parts of the world.

I would also not live where high-speed Internet access wasn't available.

Now then, back on topic...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back