Photographers who don't shoot street are missing something. c/c welcome

o hey tyler said:

There is no LOL about Bruce Gilden

I Google Imaged him and the first thing that popped up are what appear to be Russian Middle-aged Woman boobs. It's a good image, just a little bit of a "whaaat?" moment. lol XD

o hey tyler said:

There is no LOL about Bruce Gilden

I find Bruce Gilden's work to be pretty uninspired. All he does is run around NY and harass the elderly. His subjects all subjects look like deer in headlights.

But, you are entitled to enjoy his work, and I respect that.

I do like the last shot you posted... THAT is cute, and interesting! Is she bored, frustrated, being coy, or what? The outfit is nice... traditional dress one doesn't see much of normally.

I like almost all types of photography, IF WELL DONE. The photographers that are best known for street... manage to communicate something to a large portion of their audience. Most street shots leave me cold.. some I love! The difference for me is the subject.. what are they doing, what are they thinking? Expressions are paramount, as is location, attire and attitude. They need to POP!

I obviously love macro.. but it has to be well done, or I don't care for it. Same for Landscapes... many are blah.. boring. But some... wow! The plethora of baby shots we see here.. most are Ho-Hum, but a really nicely lit shot, with a photogenic brat... I can appreciate it (but they are rare!)

In order for me to like a street photography there needs to be good light.

I love the little girl shot. Just not too fond of the light in the others. But events like these happen on certain days so you can't wait for the right light which sucks :cry:

I think those other categories are boring for me to take and mostly to look at.
If other people are happy with it, that's up to them.
It's rare that I see a landscape, bug or flower picture that I really, really like and sort of wish I had taken.

I didn't say I don't care what people said (and my arms aren't folded.
I post to get reactions of any sort and I thank the people for writing them.
And I'm not passive-aggressive, I'm aggressive.

My total response was to the people who told me it didn't fit into their conception of what street photography should be and therefore it wasn't OK.

I think those other categories are boring for me to take and mostly to look at.
If other people are happy with it, that's up to them.
It's rare that I see a landscape, bug or flower picture that I really, really like and sort of wish I had taken.

I didn't say I don't care what people said (and my arms aren't folded.
I post to get reactions of any sort and I thank the people for writing them.
And I'm not passive-aggressive, I'm aggressive.

My total response was to the people who told me it didn't fit into their conception of what street photography should be and therefore it wasn't OK.

Well, since MY post was included in your response, I just take a bit of umbrage with it. I don't see where I said, or even implied that:
a) your photo didn't FIT my conception of street photography, and/or
b) it therefore wasn't OK.

If you somehow read that in to what I said, then I apologize because it was not even the tiniest bit close to what I was trying to convey.

a) your photo didn't FIT my conception of street photography, and/or
b) it therefore wasn't OK.
I think he was referring to my post...
Just to clarify: it's not that I don't like the Ford Mustang just because it is not an S.U.V.... it's just that if someone tells me "you miss something if you don't drive an S.U.V." and then shows me his Mustang as an example, I can't help remark that I don't think the Mustang is a fitting example of his claim!

No offense taken, I hope! I'm totally ignorant in history of photography and I'm well aware that my conception of "street" might be wrong.

Ciao!

Most reactions

Back