"Photographers: you’re being replaced by software"

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by 2WheelPhoto, May 15, 2012.

1. imagemaker46

imagemaker46 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not just the photoshoot, the rights to use their face to advertise their product. Do you think that Michael Jordan wasn't being paid millions? Being as his net worth right now as a retired basketball player is $500 million.

2. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Because what you're writing makes no sense in context with the article.

Let's take a break right here for a moment. What the "Facebook generation" wants/needs is the same as the previous generations: Images of their own real faces and weddings and graduations and so on - they CAN'T GET THAT from CG - it's not practical.

That's ridiculous, especially in context with what the article is really about.

What you're saying here still makes no sense in context with what this article is about: The death of product and fantasy landscape photography in favor of product and fantasy landscape rendering via CG.

You're off in a whole different direction from that.

And you're still missing the point about what CG cannot do: It cannot conjure up images of real-life people interacting with real life situation, like weddings, grads, portraits, sports, news, etc.

3. imagemaker46

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had already figured out that you weren't making your living as a photographer, not that it matters, we all have opinions.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    My human form was replaced almost two years ago by my new Borg form. My responses are all pre-programmed and stored on multiple internal hard disks. I might seem like a real person, but I am just words on a screen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're right, it doesn't matter that I don't make my living as a photographer to understand what CG is capable of and what it's not capable of, and to read the article and understand what it's saying and what it's not.

On the other side of that coin, it's obvious that you being someone who makes his living as a photographer isn't helping you one bit to actually understand it at all.

Tell me how you would CG 40 or 50 snapshots from a 6 year old's birthday party instead of photographing them, then put those CG renderings on Facebook and all the parents, grandparents and friends of all those 6 year olds would find it believable that those CG renderings came from the party they ACTUALLY attended, and that those images are the images of their kids, themselves and the rest of the party-goers. Without taking the photos and handing them over to a CG artist to model and render over several weeks (months?) time (at a cost of WHAT???!!!), HOW would that artist have ANY CLUE what each kid (and parent, grandparent, cousin, family friend, party clown and any/all other attendees) should look like, and how they should be interacting with one another?

Go ahead and spell it out for me, professional photographer. Educate me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GeorgieGirl

GeorgieGirl No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who would have time for that for heaven's sake? Could you imagine how long that would take when a photog can capture all that in an hour?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, as we ALL KNOW, video killed the radio star. Hell, they even wrote a song about that!! it was called, "Video Killed The Radio Star." And, as well all know, the DVD killed motion picture theaters. No, wait, it was the VHS tape that killed movie theaters!!!! Yes, that's it!!! And as well all know, televison killed the movie theater business. No, wait,wait,wait, that was supposed to happen, but it didn't. And as well all know, the motion picture totally eliminated live stage acting, and all actors were suddenly out of work, with no career prospects. Oh, waaaait one danged minute....that's not what happened! And as we all know, photography killed painting, and all of the painters in the world were left destitute, and nobody EVER made a painting after 1849 when that son0fabiatch Daguerre made his awful Daguerrotype process. Oh, wait,wait, that's not what happened...

• Like Like x 4
  8. blackrose89

blackrose89 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This!!!!

Hyper realism art of any medium : painting, drawing, sculpting you name it is Immensely difficult. Even by the most advanced and skilled artists who specialized in hyper realism through all history, it could take them months to complete ONE image. And 98% of all hyper realism is done with a reference. Wether it be a photo or a model posing for them. Tell me how, if it's the difficult for the most skilled in their craft to complete a piece, how the average person is going to go a wedding, memorize the whole thing, and recreate it from scratch? Something that can take people in the top of their field months to do ONE image the average person will be able to do the same with multiple images in a reasonable amount of time with no reference?

• Like Like x 1
  9. imagemaker46

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are correct, none of that can be replaced. Sporting events and weddings cannot be replaced with CGI either. I stand quite corrected on any of my previous statements. Only people that shoot photos in a studio of nuts and bolts can be replaced and the photographers that are hired to shoot stadiums, buildings, wildlife, travel, landscapes, fashion, anything that doesn't involve people, for now. It does put a very large group of photographers jobs in jeopardy at some point in the near future. I suppose for some, it really doesn't make any difference how photographers are affected. I do.

10. blackrose89

blackrose89 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sure people who ran photo lab businesses took a major hit when Digital cameras and SLRs came out. Did that stop you from buying one? Did you protest DSLRs because you cared about the fate of the people who ran these businesses? just because someone isn't against technology moving doesn't mean they don't care.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 12sndsgood

12sndsgood No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think most here have agreed that it would be more product photography or generic shots that don't require a human that will be the issue. I dont think anyone is saying that kids birthday parties or weddings or the personal stuff will be what goes.

Now, i'm off to go buy some new 8 track tapes..... oh wait. lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. imagemaker46

Photos NOT OK to edit

I had a lot of friends that lost their businesses when digital came along, so I do care about that. I'm not against technology, digital changed photography, both good and bad, what we are talking about in this case is computers and software replacing photography, not just changing it. Big difference.