Photographic Children

As a mother I can say you will probably be fine. I would have little cards with your flickr site on them and let parents know you are an aspiring photographer and they can view the photos you take on your website.

eek.gif

you want to announce "hey your kids pics are about to be all over the 'net"

As a mother I can say you will probably be fine. I would have little cards with your flickr site on them and let parents know you are an aspiring photographer and they can view the photos you take on your website.

eek.gif

My point is at a SPORTING event I think it is fine to take photos and allow access to the parents for viewing and possibly ordering. Who cares if your kid is 'on the net' playing basketball for their team? Seriously, its not like they are naked....Plus, most parents want to watch the game not focus on trying to get good pics, it would be nice to have some taken by someone else. And lets face it, kids are on the 'net'. Heck, if he is shooting 12 year olds they probably have their own facebook.

eek.gif

Next to 'save the whales' this has to be the single most overused, hyperbolic, off base phrase people use. All over the net? Really? Did Angelina Jolie stop by to play ball while you were there? Katy Perry stop by to sing the national anthem?

Take a breath. I've taken an uploaded nearly 1200 pictures of Jr High/High School sporting events. I can count on 1 hand how many have been viewed by sources other than people on here (via being posted) or directly sending to parents to view. It just doesn't happen that taking a picture of a kid at a basketball game at a public school ends up 'all over the net'. Unless of course you last name is Mapplethorpe or something.

Plus, how are folks going to find that image that's now 'all over the net'? Are they going to go searching when they get home for image 64567.jpg that my camera took, and uploaded because I'm to lazy to label the actual picture, and just use the numeric label the camera assigns? Because if they go searching for 'little johnny' or whatever the kids name is they sure as hell are not going to find it.

Heck, if he is shooting 12 year olds they probably have their own facebook.

Heck isn't that true!!

So basically most people are saying that as long as you explain to any angry parents what you are doing, it should be fine? Since this is a public place (paid for by tax money) that there is no legal issues I could run into either?

I don't know. Because if you use the images commercially, you'd have to have a model sign a release, why wouldn't you have to have a child's parent sign one? I've read (even here I think) if you have a model, to get a release even if you want to put them on your website. So how is going somewhere and shooting a kid specifically not the same as a model?

Showing up with a camera and taking pictures of kids under the age of 18 without the permisson of the parents is going to cause you problems..
That has not been my experience, not even close, shooting youth sports (grade school age) here in the US.

Perhaps you're too old to be considered dangerous? :lmao:

Assault with a dead weapon and all that?

Just my 2 cents, but there are plenty of adult sports clubs you could take pictures at especially at places like the YMCA.

I have no intention of making money from the photos just to get practice with action photography and maybe post a few up here for C&C.

Just my 2 cents, but there are plenty of adult sports clubs you could take pictures at especially at places like the YMCA.
We are a small country town, we don't have anything like that around here.

Heck, if he is shooting 12 year olds they probably have their own facebook.

Heck isn't that true!!

So basically most people are saying that as long as you explain to any angry parents what you are doing, it should be fine? Since this is a public place (paid for by tax money) that there is no legal issues I could run into either?

Pretty much. Oh and public doesn't mean just tax based public property, it mans ANYWHERE there is no expectation of privacy. IE you could try to photograph people shopping at Walmart, but NOT people in the fitting room or the bathroom as there is an expectation of privacy. But as far as I know, any facility holds the right to refuse to let you photograph there, but unless you are informed you are well within your rights to take photos.

You don't need permission to use/sell the photo as a piece of art online or otherwise. You do need a model release if you intend to use it for commercial purposes IE endorsing a product, political campaign etc.

Last edited:
If you are selling it online even as art isn't that still technically commercial and be illegal without a model release?

If you are selling it online even as art isn't that still technically commercial and be illegal without a model release?

No. You could sell your photo as a print, you CAN'T say sell your photo to a business to use for a food product. Pretty much can't indiciate that the model endorses whatever the photo is being used for without their permission.

No. You could sell your photo as a print, you CAN'T say sell your photo to a business to use for a food product. Pretty much can't indiciate that the model endorses whatever the photo is being used for without their permission.

Interesting :) I didn't really know that Thank You

Interesting :) I didn't really know that Thank You

You also can't use the photo personally to endorse anything either with the release. Say there is a charity event, you can't use someone's photo without permission to endorse that charity. I believe you can only sell it/use it as an art print. I'm pretty sure this is how it works. But I'm no lawyer :lol:

So basically if you're not endorsing a product, place, thing, idea, ANYTHING and simply selling as art it's fine? I have no intention of selling but that has been one thing I've wondered since getting into photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back