Photographic Competitions

binglemybongle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

This applies mainly to UK members, but if international entries are accepted, then please let me know.

I am tyring to find either a website or several resources that list current photographic competitions.

Any subject at all and for any publication or arganisation etc.

Every time i do a Google search, 90% of what is brought up are results for past competitions.

I will be honest that i am interested in the prize competitions but anything for experience would be good.

Anyone know of such a site?

Ta.

I don't have any recommendations, but just a caution - be sure to carefully read the terms and conditions for any contests you enter. A lot of competitions online state that by entering you agree to give the company/organization all rights to your photo to do anything they want with it. Not worth it, IMO.

I don't have any recommendations, but just a caution - be sure to carefully read the terms and conditions for any contests you enter. A lot of competitions online state that by entering you agree to give the company/organization all rights to your photo to do anything they want with it. Not worth it, IMO.

I agree. Many online photo competitions are really just ways to drum up cheap (free) stock photos. Always read that fine print.

Well I know it might not be what you were looking for but www.worth1000.com has photo contests Ive joined.

They also do PHOTOSHOP contests, so make sure you click on photography. They also designate beginner, advanced and pro contests so you can compete with photogs of similar skill lvl. "prizes" are actually points you can use to enter different contests.

Its fun, and you do get some feedback on your shots.

but just a caution - be sure to carefully read the terms and conditions for any contests you enter
I agree. Also, there are a few popular contests that will accept your photo and string you along, sending you mail to make it seem like you are in the running for a big prize and that your shot will be put into a book of finalists. Actually, just about all photos make it into 'the book' as small thumbnail images...and you can buy the book for the low, low price of $75-$150 :roll: It's just s scam to sell you a book.

I think that the best contests to enter...would be with local groups, clubs or associations. Look for something in your area.

Look around for photo competitions that are local to you, and not internet based. I'm from the US so I don't know what you would have in your area, but for instance here, the metroparks hold an annual photo comp, as well as the zoo. Lots of times, photography clubs will also have competitions. The prizes may not be incredible or anything, but if you win, you get the right to call yourself an "award winning photographer".

Oh, I forgot before, if you go to the library and check out the latest version of Photographer's Market, there's a list of photo contests in there. I think the 2006 edition has it too.

my local council organises an annual competition in association with several clubs within the area. No huge prizes since it's run by the council but the images make the library and sometimes the paper.
With it being the local council you know it's above board with no scams involved.

Check with your local council or club and keep an eye on the notice board in your library too.

Photographic clubs and societies are a good place to get info on competitions.
The UK's RPS is about to hold there annual competition and accepts international entries, although it may be restricted to members only.

Most reactions

Back