Photographic New Year's resolutions

ThomThomsk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is this in the right section? Not sure, so mods please move if you like.

So, Christmas is over, and we enter that strange twilight zone at the end of the year, where thoughts (my thoughts anyway) turn to the future and this year in particular to what I'm going to do photographically in 2006. My photographic New Year's resolutions so far:

1. Take fewer photographs, but think about what I'm doing and why. This means trying to get the hang of pre-visualisation and taking time to plan how to capture what I visualise.

2. Learn how to develop, then how to print. A fine silver print is a thing of beauty, and I long to be able to make one. See 1. above as a key step towards being able to do this.

3. Support Ilford. Out of financial difficulties, they will only stay that way if people buy their stuff. In my quest to learn how to develop and print I will need to stick with a small range of materials, at least to begin with, and those materials will be Ilford - the company that says it will be the last man standing in black and white film. May need to buy a bigger freezer in the January sales.

4. Take photos more regularly. Doesn't really contradict 1 - what I mean is, rather than going out for an hour's walk at the weekend and coming back with maybe 50 digital images of similar things, I'll aim to carry my camera all the time and take maybe one picture a day on average, but try to make it a really good one. I read somewhere that it's a good discipline to go out with one frame left on a film and search for an image that is worth using it for. See 1. above.

Anyone else?

Thom

I need to learn how to use filters effectively (which means I have to borrow some.. and not misplace them), as well as focus more on a 'photojournalism' approach.

Very neat idea for a thread ThomThomsk

i've gotta get a proper darkroom and re-start using my zenit... Gotta get out a bit more, too, to be able to shoot something new cause i think i've got a picture of every leaf in my neighboring forest... :D

I shall have to take some darkroom classes, developing looks really interesting and would save me a small fortune.

Interesting responses - encouraging to see people talking about film!

Alexandra, I live in the New Forest in the south of England, and I too have many variations on the leaf theme. This year I'd like to do a seasonal changes project, using a small number of favourite locations.

Craig, there is a guy over on APUG who's signature is something like "Did I mention that 4x5 looks small today?". That's not you is it?

Any more for any more?

1. register framesmedia photography
2. join sva to do a small course on ad/studio photography (yes Craig! :)), to get the feel of it
3. a darkroom course sometime during the summer. I would like to eventually print from my darkroom (which I don't have yet).

I like this thread.

I have enrolled in a b&W class and intend to re-learn how to develop my own prints.

I like your first resolution and will try to make it my own as well.

I intend to determine a life-long photographic goal. Such as photographing the same tree at the same time of day every second tuesday of every month until I die. (just one idea of many, I haven't determined exactly what this life project will be yet.)

I would like to travel some and get into landscape and macro photography(will need cash for extra lenses).

Set up a home darkroom.

Keep learning and shooting.........

Cheers!
~DC

Woah new years resolutions. These things tend to get forgotten after about May ... ;)

1. To get out more often and take more photos.
2. To get a minimum of 10 photos on TPF that people want to comment on and like.
3. When in the USA in July & August, to get as many photos as possible & make them worthwhile (not just the usual holiday snaps).
4. The photos for TPF that everyone likes to make more effort to get them on my own site and not take ages to do it.
5. Help my son appriciate photography more & update his website too.

next one please ...

1) get into brooks
2) use my yashica more often, now that im not in a class, i use it less, but now i have a film scanner so theres no excuse to not go shoot and atleast develop my own film, and then scan them.
3) shoot more, now i will do 1 planned day of shooting and another one or two spontaneous outtings, but id like to do more.
4) large format. learnit. use it.

hmm that's hard to say:
1. get dSLR...
2. shoot better pictures... that's all I want :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back