Photographic Pet-Peeves

Yes! Today is the day for full-on negativity posts!

Keep these uplifting threads going!

......:meh:
Maybe... You should take my comments as being a being a bit tongue-in-cheek, though.

The positive aspect is that maybe, just maybe, it will encourage folks to avoid the cliches and to actually think about how they apply techniques.

And trying to conteract negativity of a thread with a negative post condemning that negative thread is a bit trying to put out a fire with gasoline... Or, maybe two negatives make a positive... who knows?! :lol:

Plus there's a cathartic aspect to belly-aching once in a while and that's a good thing!

So are you the all powerful photography determiner?

Just because certain 'styles' or 'techniques' are annoying to you, doesn't mean people shouldn't use them. Seriously, I could care less what the hell people think of my own shots.

I wouldn't have made the comment if I hadn't read like 10 posts from you today that were all about bashing peoples/certain styles.

Any Project365 person gets several gets a pass on my curmodgeonry... Keep shooting!

So are you the all powerful photography determiner?

Just because certain 'styles' or 'techniques' are annoying to you, doesn't mean people shouldn't use them. Seriously, I could care less what the hell people think of my own shots.

I wouldn't have made the comment if I hadn't read like 10 posts from you today that were all about bashing peoples/certain styles.
Nope. I'm not the all powerful anything. That's why I'm very careful to always couch my C&C and my rants as being MY opinion only and why I mention that it's a personal bias when I'm aware that my comment is being colored by my personal tastes.

If I fail to do that, then shame on me.

I go out of my way not to bash people. I go out of my way not bash anything, unless it's in the context of a rant or a thread like this. And even in both of these threads, I've gone out of my way to state that the techniques that bother me are appropriate in certain contexts.

You seem to be taking this awfully personally and I'm not sure what I've done to target you or single you out in anyway. In fact, the only one of your pics that I can recall commenting on was complimentary.

I don't know, Danny... If my posts are bothering you that much, maybe you'd be better off putting me on your ignore list. I'd hate to feel like I've alienated you, but I know that I can really rub people the wrong way and have learned to mitigate it when I can and live with it when I can't.

And trying to conteract negativity of a thread with a negative post condemning that negative thread

oh no... I've gone crosseyed :drool2:

Some of these mentioned things I find a little annoying, but I think it is usually caused by the attitude surrounding the photo "check out my AWESOME [insert trendy gimmick here] Photo of a sharpie sitting on my cluttered desk! everyone on my myspace said it was sooo professional looking. how do i set up an account to sell it?"

Which makes me remember It drives me nuts when people with even less skill than I have talk about starting a photo business 2 months after picking up their first camera.

But I don't think I have any photographic pet peeves yet.

... ok maybe the mirror+flash self portrait :lmao:

Critique. Way over rated. People try to see too much in a photo, and go a little overboard with this critique stuff. :er:

oh almost forgot... all of EricD's wildlife shots... they make me want to throw away my gear and take up basket weaving.

Well, the only thing that will really stand out to me is a bad watermark. I'll go further, if you are a FNG and your photos show some serious fundamental flaws, and you plaster a giant watermark on there with the intention of either A. Advertising you in fact took that, showing your current skill level, or B. you believe that someone secretly desires your shot and you must protect it; it will bug the **** out of me.

Other then that, do what you want with the photos, it's your vision.

Critique. Way over rated. People try to see too much in a photo, and go a little overboard with this critique stuff. :er:
Oh, that's totally me, Chiller!
Dont get me wrong....but I just think this whole act of posting photos on a photo forum, and people trying to find flaws, has become a little hilarious. :lol::lmao::lol:
But we have had numorous threads about critique, so I wont go there. I just stopped posting photos...it was easier. :lol:

Most reactions

Back