Photographic Pet-Peeves

Yes! Today is the day for full-on negativity posts!
Seriously, I could care less what the hell people think of my own shots.

Actually one of my pet peeves is seeing native English speaking people write 'I could care less what ...' (which implies they actually care some about what people say cause they 'could care less.') when they really mean 'I couldn't care less.'

I also wonder about people who make posts with egregious spelling errors.

Critique. Way over rated. People try to see too much in a photo, and go a little overboard with this critique stuff. :er: Dont get me wrong....but I just think this whole act of posting photos on a photo forum, and people trying to find flaws, has become a little hilarious. :lol::lmao::lol:
But we have had numorous threads about critique, so I wont go there. I just stopped posting photos...it was easier. :lol:

And of course people who say they don't care about critique, ignoring the fact that the vast proportion of people who post are looking for some comment/feedback so they can get better. Don't want it, don't need it, no problem - some people want and need it, don't belittle the function because you're too 'cool'.
I agree that critique is needed, and I would gladly give it, but if they cant accept it...then why waste time. Im just done with it...it has nothing to do with being cool. Cool is going outside without a jacket.

Last edited:
You for got to use the word....*.***** retard. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shots of cats or dogs. I hate cats, unless you get the grease hot enough. :lol:
You sure you're not talkin' 'bout penguins?
[FONT=&quot]
ptgbaseballbat.gif
[/FONT]

Careful, Pugs. You keep going at it with the penguin stuff and Anarctican will find you, strap you to a chair, prop your eyes open a la A Clockwork Orange and make you watch Happy Feet, Madagascar and March of the Penguins for three solid days.
You forgot Surf's Up...sure to have 'im screaming in the aisles. I'm on my way, Pugs, with Bowler hat and mascara in hand. Be afwaid, be vewy afwaid.

Actually, I have seen March of the Penguins and I really, really enjoyed it!
:D

...and Penguins, those suck too.
[FONT=&quot]
penggifhb1.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
penggifhb1.gif
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
penggifhb1.gif

(Just trying to add some levity as things were turning nasty there. For the record, I think The Traveller's response to Chiller was mean spirited and unwarranted. Traveller's avatar is misleading, as he sure isn't any Mother Teresa!)
[/FONT]

Last edited:
* Hobby photographers and amateurs that take photography way too seriously.
* Professional photographers that don't take photography seriously enough
* Photographers who can't see past the other photographer's camera bag.

... oh yeh...
About The Liberty Penguin

I dunno if its been said but...
Excessive PP smoothing of the skin. Hate it.

Maternity photos in general, but more specifically, the 'hands making a heart around the belly button' and 'the name of the child in wooden blocks over the stomach' (double secret probation if the latter is done with selective color).

lol... i'm so guilty of doing those!!! but the moms love it, they think its so creative!

I really hate sepia tone... dunno why, i just HATE it... and i'm not a fan of ANY selective coloring, it iritates me

In the mini-rant thread about camera tilt, a couple of people brought up some of my other photographic pet-peeves.

I thought that it would be fun to see what sets all of your teeth on edge so if you have photographic pet-peeves, post post 'em up!

My Photographic Pet-Peeves:
- Camera Tilt
- HDR
- Selective Coloring
- Over saturation
- Sepia/other bleaching methods
- Deliberate aging with blatantly contemporary subjects/elements
- Tilt-shift
- Vignetting
- Penguins :lol:

And with all of them, except the penguins, there is a time and a place for them! Used appropriately, they can truly MAKE a photograph.

Remember we are all entitled to our own opinion. What are your pet peeves won't be mine.
That is what makes things interesting.

Everyone has tastes and they are not the same.

My pet peeve?

Tilted shots. I feel like I need to hang on to something when I view the photo.

This has sort of been bugging me because of the "tilt" thread, and also the numerous threads we see complaining about HDR and the like:

-Overuse of any technique until it becomes a gimmick and loses all it's value and becomes a trend and develops a stigma.
-People further stigmatizing said technique by complaining about it profusely.

Also:

-People who are constantly trying to sell their photo's, regardless of their quality. Especially when people starting doing it with their first camera and put the cart way before the horse.
-People doing photographic work through craigslist for a pittance and flooding the market with garbage. I understand you have to learn somewhere, but advertising on craigslist and selling people bad photos is bad for the whole industry.
-The standard overused subjects (bridges, homeless people, pets and the like)

There are numerous others that I can't think of at the moment.

Ok here's my peeve. People that have gotten good. really good at photography, and now scoff at people that are as good as they once were. I guess im a snobbist.

Shots of cats or dogs. I hate cats, unless you get the grease hot enough. :lol:
My cat just read that, arched her back, hissed, scratched the monitor, then fired up my laptop to send you a nastygram and your IP address to PETA. :lol:

See! That is what freaks me out about cats, they just look like they know stuff. My dog is stupid, looks stupid, acts stupid and knows he is stupid. Cats on the other hand... :confused:

See! That is what freaks me out about cats, they just look like they know stuff. My dog is stupid, looks stupid, acts stupid and knows he is stupid. Cats on the other hand...
Cats are selfish, hateful, antisocial morons who just act like they're smart. Most dogs have a genuine and measurable intelligence.

How many cats do you know of have the cognitive ability to figure out on their own that the button by the door makes a sound inside, signaling for someone to open the door? (yes, my dog actually rings the doorbell to come in, and no one trained her to do it)

For that matter, how many cats even know their own stupid, fruity names?

photos of dogs
I reject your reality and substitute my own :D

eajheaacj.jpg

eajhgaacj.jpg

This thread is now about dogs vs. cats :lol:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back