Photographing 80 executives

photop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope this is under the right thread...
I have taken on this assignment and am seeking any advice. The picture will be done indoors so I am thinking I need to be up high. I have 2 photogenic power lights 1250 and think I should use a 35mm lens. I'll be meeting with the person coordinating this event next week to discuss details. I will try and do a test shot at the location ahead of time. I have been looking for examples of this kind of group picture for inspiration but haven't found anything. Thoughts anyone? Thank you!

Are we to assume this is one group shot, or 80 people in small groups over several shots?

For a group this size one aspect to consider is how far apart the spread will be, two heads may not be enough if the group is spread out. More info would be helpful.

80 executives in one shot? What size room?

I have been looking for examples of this kind of group picture for inspiration but haven't found anything.
Look for old military photos or large class photos.

I have taken on this assignment and am seeking any advice. The picture will be done indoors so I am thinking I need to be up high. I have 2 photogenic power lights 1250 and think I should use a 35mm lens. I'll be meeting with the person coordinating this event next week to discuss details. I will try and do a test shot at the location ahead of time. I have been looking for examples of this kind of group picture for inspiration but haven't found anything. Thoughts anyone? Thank you!

Photop, that’s a pretty big group. I’ll assume this is indoors? I would do 5 rows to keep it kinda compact. using a 35 should give you plenty DoF at say f8.
I would use umbrellas to not diffuse to much light, not boxes. I think the 1250’s are 500w(I have 1500’s, they’re 600w), so you should have ample power with that spread.
If you do shorter in front etc. you probably don’t need to get more than 3-4 feet off the ground.
Put the lights at 45/45 or so, depending on ceiling height. I would mock it up beforehand using a light meter and some corner targets to check DoF. Don’t forget to arc then a bit to keep the DoF consistent. You can compact them a bit by overlapping shoulders and chevroning a bit to the center.
You don’t want to underexpose at all in case all are wearing black suits. You need to see the fabric at least in the first row. All glasses wearers should raise the temples a 1/2 inch if possible. If they all look at you, the camera should see them. it sounds like a fun shoot. Nothing like bossing a bunch of stuffy executives around!
If you use a P&S just make sure it’s on blink mode!!! LoL, just kidding!!!
SS
Edit: In a couple of those shots posted the photographer is pretty high or the wide angle makes it seem that way!?

Last edited:
80 executives in one room! You will need a very wide angle lens to fit their heads in ;)

IMG_4520.png
IMG_4521.jpg

Here are a couple of examples. These probably have a few more than 80...Maybe 19ft across?

Photop, that’s a pretty big group. I’ll assume this is indoors? I would do 5 rows to keep it kinda compact. using a 35 should give you plenty DoF at say f8.
I would use umbrellas to not diffuse to much light, not boxes. I think the 1250’s are 500w(I have 1500’s, they’re 600w), so you should have ample power with that spread.
If you do shorter in front etc. you probably don’t need to get more than 3-4 feet off the ground.
Put the lights at 45/45 or so, depending on ceiling height. I would mock it up beforehand using a light meter and some corner targets to check DoF. Don’t forget to arc then a bit to keep the DoF consistent.
You don’t want to underexpose at all in case all are wearing black suits. You need to see the fabric at least in the first row. All glasses wearers should raise the temples a 1/2 inch if possible. If they all look at you, the camera should see them. it sounds like a fun shoot. Nothing like bossing a bunch of stuffy executives around!
If you use a P&S just make sure it’s on blink mode!!! LoL, just kidding!!!
SS

This is very helpful. Thank you! Yes, inside. "Glass wearers should raise the temples"...you mean lift their chins? You don't mean shoot through umbrellas do you but bounced out of large umbrellas? If the ceilings are low maybe bounce off the ceiling?

At the ear of the eyeglass wearers, have them lift the temple piece of their glasses up upwards about 1/2 inch---this effectively tilts down the front lenses and makes it much less likely to get glare. It's an old trick but one that works splendidly to this day.

At the ear of the eyeglass wearers, have them lift the temple piece of their glasses up upwards about 1/2 inch---this effectively tilts down the front lenses and makes it much less likely to get glare. It's an old trick but one that works splendidly to this day.
Hmmmm....okay, thanks! I'll try that out right away!

Here are a couple of examples. These probably have a few more than 80...Maybe 19ft across?
Never mind the width measurement. If your lens can get them all in, then that's good.

The other dimension, the depth, is something that will mess you up if you're not careful. A couple of these sample groups are 25 or 30 feet deep. Make sure your DOF will get them all in reasonable focus.

Hope your PS skills are up to the task, you will likely have to swap heads from a few shots to get everyone looking at you with their eyes open. ;)

Ladder, mezzanine, balcony... do not use too short of a focal length or the front few rows will appear disproportionately large compared to the people in the back. Your 35 millimeter lens is about as short as I would go. I once shot a group like this from the top of a high school football stadium it was 185 people and they were arranged in the shape of the graduating year which was 1980. I used a 50 mm lens as I recall and the people were about 120 ft or so from the camera at the front of the group and about 145 feet or so at the back of the group. By making the group farther away you get more depth of field even at relatively wide apertures such as f / 4.

Er um...just make sure no one has had baked beans

Most reactions

New Topics

Back