Photographing a band... help

sruffatti

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, my name is sean i am new to this site. My friend is in a band and he just recently won a contest, the prize was a professional photoshoot. So they went through with that and just hated how it came out....... some background information of the band is that there name is Message to Montauk. They are an up and coming Indie Band. Keep in mind they are indie.

Message to Montauk

Hate
  • Did not represent the band
  • Did not have the Indie feel
  • Thought that the guy was just terrible

Want
  • Artsy feel to it
  • Quirky feel also
  • Independent feel to show who they are, independent

I would like some advice on how to go about this and please them. These are some photos they liked of other bands

The Strokes "Working Out Kinks" On Fourth Album • News • exclaim.ca
and this...http://www.forgetthebox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1274922157Foals.jpg

Please people help me, your help will mean a lot to me

Buy lighting equipment and learn how to use it. After that, come up with an original idea for the shoot, rip off an idea from someone else, or beg for more help so someone will furnish you with their idea of how you should do the shoot.

Last edited:
Sean,

The point that these ruffians are trying to get across is that actually being a photographer and taking pictures that come out the way you want takes time, work, experience, skill and money.
Advice may help a teeny bit but all the other things are required.

Hi, my name is sean i am new to this site. My friend is in a band and he just recently won a contest, the prize was a professional photoshoot. So they went through with that and just hated how it came out....... some background information of the band is that there name is Message to Montauk. They are an up and coming Indie Band. Keep in mind they are indie.

Message to Montauk

Hate
  • Did not have the Indie feel
  • Thought that the guy was just terrible

Want
  • Artsy feel to it
  • Quirky feel also
  • Independent feel to show who they are, independent
I would like some advice on how to go about this and please them. These are some photos they liked of other bands

The Strokes "Working Out Kinks" On Fourth Album • News • exclaim.ca
and this...http://www.forgetthebox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/1274922157Foals.jpg

Please people help me, your help will mean a lot to me
You bet.

The first thing you need to know is how to use a camera and lens.

The second thing you need to know is how to do photographic lighting.

The third thing you need to know is how to do visual art composition.

The fourth thing you need is creativity, or you can just copy what someone else did.

They are an up and coming Indie Band. Keep in mind they are indie.

Yes, I will keep it in mind. It usually means a bunch of pains-in-the-a**.

Everybody is up-and-coming even if they never do come. I work with people who did come and they are much more pleasant to work with than your friends. Yes, I have worked with the up-and-coming crowd. They know it all. Even if they don't know a thing.

Hate
  • Did not have the Indie feel And what the hell is that exactly? Can you tell in less than 500 words?
  • Thought that the guy was just terrible Why? Because he told them some truth they didn't like?

Want
  • Artsy feel to it
  • Quirky feel also
  • Independent feel to show who they are, independent Feel, feel, feel. How about some concrete stuff here. Feelings are way too vague. Especially when it come to artsy, quirky, independent stuff...

Now, if you want to get serious, I'd be happy to shoot those people. However I don't shoot for free. Depending on what exactly they want, we may run into a few thousand dollars for a session. Plus, I'm booked for quite a while.

Well I understand your issue here. You were promised a professional photoshoot, however it was not what you wanted, which is what many people feel after they get "professional shoots" sometimes the "professional" hired does not have the appropriate "eye" for the feel you are looking for. My advice? Get an edgy photographer. I know a girl who owns a business locally (Arizona) But she actually travels, ALOT. I suggest looking at her Facebook, and seeing if this is the type of stuff you are looking for. NO REGRETS PHOTOGRAPHY - Wall | Facebook

Bands are notoriously unreliable and change their line-up by the minute.
Don't spend loads on shoots and print costs till you get a decent deposit..at least 50%.
Better still charge for the shoot and give them the negs/files and let them get on with it.

Bitter experience talking.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back