Photographing a diamond ring...

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I tried to take a photo of my fiance's engagement ring. For the life of me, I can't seem to get the diamond in focus, it's as if there is a haze over the diamond. I can't seem to get clarity from it, or depth. :confused:

It's a solitare 1karat princess cut... so I figured it would be somewhat simple to shoot.

I've tried with my 50mm/1.8 and my 18-55 kit lens

shooting with a d40.

Is there a trick here? Do I need a true macro lens, or make an extension tube?

Not that it's a huge deal, but she wanted a pic of it, and I figured I'd ask :mrgreen:

Get a Macro lens.

This was shot with a 100mm 2.8 Canon.
4191242461_764ab45e89_o.jpg

lol I was going to say, Bitter should know the answer!!!

I was able to shoot my diamond ring with my 35mm 1.8 - of course it wasn't anything like a macro would get but it was a clear shot of the diamond.

The 50mm can take descent close ups , of course no macro but still. Are you using tripod or hand held? Maybe you can post the settings your using so we can help more. you could always crop a bit to get in closer

Mine was OOF and the ring was dirty lol. But now Ive cleaned my ring. Maybe time to try again.

If you dont have a macro lens, my photography teacher taught me something very cool when I was just starting out. You can take out your lens from your camera and flip it over, holding it there (make sure no light can get in through the sides) and get as close to your subject as you want/can. Be very very steady and shoot. This should give you somewhat of a good shot :)

Most reactions

Back