Photographing a wedding with minimal lighting??

It's also not enough time to find another photographer. Much less one that would have the correct equipment AND be in her price range. She's fully aware that I'm still "learning" and she understands the lighting may be an issue. Thank you for the help, though...

Refer the job to someone with the equipment and skill to complete it to the standard to which a wedding should be. I'm sorry, but four days is NOT enough time to learn how to speedlight-light a wedding.

most churches do not allow flash photography during the ceremony.
the only ceremony we have used flash for was at the Tampa Aquarium, but really, there was no choice regardless of the camera used because of a scant few purple and blue spotlights being the only lighting.

check with the venue beforehand to find out about their rules on flash photography during the ceremony.
whether they allow flash or not, I would highly recommend doing what we do.
in addition to the regular shots during the ceremony, we also take formal portraits (usually after the ceremony but before the reception) where you can get pictures of everyone still dressed up. (bride/groom, wedding party, bridesmaids, groomsmen...etc etc) there are usually no rules against using flash after the ceremony, and they always make for some really nice shots.

Shouldn't be taking on any assignments until you have the skill and experience to correctly handle any situation that comes up. Budget or not, if you are going to play professional, learn to be be professional.

"So it's only the ceremony that will possibly be hindered"

This being the most important part of the wedding. Taking on friends weddings, or anything for that matter and regardless of how they feel, or what they say, if the product isn't delivered to "their" expectations, it's a quick way to lose friends.

Good luck cramming years worth of learning into a few days.

I'm photographing a wedding this weekend and just found out that there will be no natural lighting. There are no windows in the building. In addition to that, they're wanting to have dim lighting. I currently only have my studio lights which would be too big for the room the ceremony is in. I don't have a speed light for the camera but can go purchase one if that will help? I'm afraid of harsh shadows due to the flash. Can anyone give any suggestions?

I know I'm late to the game here, but if it were me I'd rent a big 1000w light and put it in a corner of the room on a Pocket Wizard. Shoot it up and bounce off the ceiling so you've got nice soft directional light throughout the room, no matter where you shoot. I'd stay away from on-camera strobes.

And what do you do if the church says no flash allowed?

Anyway, How did it go?

Well, let's send her a PM!

(PM sent)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back