Photographing candles better

Golden Helmet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey hey. I'd like a little advice for shooting pics of Candles. My mom's making up a bunch to sell for charity and wants me to get some shots for her website once it gets a makeover, so I'd like a few suggestions if anyone has them on how to make them all the more appealing.

Just simple stuff really. Backdrop or no backdrop? Flash or long exposure? Should I spend some extra money on a light fog filter to give them a bit of a dreamy look? (Something I've been considering.) Simple stuff like that. I've looked around at some other candle retailers and their pics, but their meh and I wanna do better:p

Here is an example of how I'm doing it right now (linkied so I don't stretch the page). The exposure bothers me a little bit, but the lighting available was craptastic at best. Also the backdrop is an old Halloween costume, heh heh. Improvisation at it's best:p (My cam shoots at much higher resolution, it's just resized to make it decently viewable.)

But yeah, if anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them. The photos will be public, which is why I want to try and get it right.:)

Just a few at most. Prettymuch everything I photograph is going up for sale, so don't wanna light more than I have to =\

Most reactions

Back