Photographing homeless people - OK or not?

Photographing homeless people - OK or not?

• Absolutely Fine

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Possibly, once in a while

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • NO

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Photographing homeless people

OK or not?

Edit: I mean from the moral point of view. Like some people say do not take pix of homeless as it is not the right thing to do.

Last edited:
If they are in public I dont see why not. Now making money off the photo's you take of them is a different story.

If they are in public I dont see why not. Now making money off the photo's you take of them is a different story.

Sorry for the confusion. I mean moral point of view. Like some people say do not take pix of homless as it is not right type of thing.

I think it depends on the intent: journalistic is fine, but not for exploitation (including political)

Moral points are more of a personal thing. I have seen a trend in the most successful photographers having little to no morals for things like this. Its what gets them that difficult shot that nobody else is willing to get. They do whatever it takes to get that amazing picture regardless of the costs.

Now that being said, I wouldn't want to pester a homeless person and give them a reason to bother me.

Moral points are more of a personal thing. I have seen a trend in the most successful photographers having little to no morals for things like this. Its what gets them that difficult shot that nobody else is willing to get. They do whatever it takes to get that amazing picture regardless of the costs.

Now that being said, I wouldn't want to pester a homeless person and give them a reason to bother me.

That's what super-telephoto lenses are for. Get close without them knowing ;)

do you want someone taking pictures of you or your kids or family for whatever reason and posting them for critique all over internet photography websites, or instagram or facebook? why would you photograph a homeless person? because you think they are interesting? you want to document their lives in some way? (because that of course would be totally original) I don't imagine that many of us would want some random person taking pictures of us for any use or any reason. why is it "photographers" tend to feel like they are some special exception? they hide behind "public property" rules and feel that it justifies that overly creepy behavior. (im not talking about taking landscape picture where people just happen to get in the way) how would any of you feel if you logged in one day and found someone posted pictures of your children or spouse up here while you were at the park?
would you ask them to remove them? would you be upset? would the site actually make them be removed if it was taken on public property? I imagine that to be a pretty helpless feeling. personally, it is not something I would like done to MY family, so we don't photograph people without their permission.

Sorry for the confusion. I mean moral point of view. Like some people say do not take pix of homless as it is not right type of thing.

Rubbish, all you do is either shoot with a 400mm or ask and offer to buy them a drink

"I hope you don't mind me asking but would you mind if I took your photograph, it is my hobby, I am happy to buy you a coffee for your trouble"

BUT beware some especially drunks and junkies will NOT like it.

I was simply putting my camera in the car and one rudely asked and accused me of taking his photo, i explained politely that I was not, but was prepared for his attitude.

do you want someone taking pictures of you or your kids or family for whatever reason and posting them for critique all over internet photography websites, or instagram or facebook? why would you photograph a homeless person? because you think they are interesting? you want to document their lives in some way? (because that of course would be totally original) I don't imagine that many of us would want some random person taking pictures of us for any use or any reason. why is it "photographers" tend to feel like they are some special exception? they hide behind "public property" rules and feel that it justifies that overly creepy behavior. (im not talking about taking landscape picture where people just happen to get in the way) how would any of you feel if you logged in one day and found someone posted pictures of your children or spouse up here while you were at the park?
would you ask them to remove them? would you be upset? would the site actually make them be removed if it was taken on public property? I imagine that to be a pretty helpless feeling. personally, it is not something I would like done to MY family, so we don't photograph people without their permission.

Well duh......

That is photography.

YOU and YOUR FAMILY are on video wherever you go 24/7 complain to the CCTV police and others.

THEY do NOT ask and you have NO choice

Well duh......

That is photography.

YOU and YOUR FAMILY are on video wherever you go 24/7 complain to the CCTV police and others.

THEY do NOT ask and you have NO choice

but they arent put up on display asking for C&C. if you dont understand the difference between security cameras and photographers..i really dont have the time nor the inclination to explain it if you really believe they are the same thing.
the intent is the difference.

Not even off of the first page and I can already see serious potential for a derailment... Let's keep things to a civil discussion, k?

Thanks!

Here we go again.. why do people care if their pics are on the internet? What's the fear? What are you afraid will happen? Someone will look at it? I don't get it.. personally I don't care if someone takes my pic and posts it on the internet. I go out in public.. it's no different really, people see me there.

As for the original question. If it makes for an interesting photo, I don't see the problem.

OP asked for the moral point of view. Just gave mine. sorry if it goes against the grain.

OP asked for the moral point of view. Just gave mine. sorry if it goes against the grain.

You're certainly entitled to your views on the subject. I just don't understand what the big deal is.. not just from your comments, but generally speaking to anyone with similar thoughts. What's the big fear?

You're certainly entitled to your views on the subject. I just don't understand what the big deal is.. not just from your comments, but generally speaking to anyone with similar thoughts. What's the big fear?

it isnt necessarily about fear.. although that might be an issue for some. for me, it is about respect. why would you feel the need to photograph someone else that has no desire to be photographed? or that you dont even KNOW if they do or not? just because you legally can? Is the justification only that they are outside in public so its ok? that is entirely self serving using someone else that gains no benefit from their unwilling participation.

I just personally need a little more than that before I am willing to start taking photos of people that are unaware of it. that's just me personally.
obviously there is no legal issues with it so...from that aspect, shoot away. i am only speaking to my own personal feelings on the matter...which is what the OP asked for.

Most reactions

Back