photographing in a mall?

so as long as im not disrupting anyone, i dont even have a tripod, only my D3000 and the 18-55mm lense it came with, i shouldnt be disruptive at all

Just to give you a little reason why the mall would ask you to NOT take photos inside is because of the stores that are leasing the space inside the mall. I know the company that I work for does not allow photography inside or outside of it's store. Why you may ask ... well it's because of what we call ORC's. ORC stand for Organized Retail Crime. They way most of these thieves do this is... they come into the store... look around for something they like (usually high dollar items) take photos of what they want.. pass the photos along to someone else who goes in and takes said items resulting in hundreds of dollars in merchandise lost. To prevent the mall from being liable... they prohibit photography. It's just one of those things that they try to help prevent from happening... of course people have other clever ways of taking the things they want...

Actually that is not quite correct in the US. Police canNOT take photos or equipment as evidence UNLESS the person has been formally arrested and that is NOT possible in most situations since taking pictures is NOT illegal.

When I posted my response.... being under arrest WAS the assumption....

That was the case in my disorderly conduct charge... getting my stuff back was easier than getting out of the police station.

i didnt realize how much of a pain this could be, im going out in public for the first time tomorrow afternoon if its not raining in a little historic town near me, and im expecting the worst (either cops or pedestrians bothering me) even though they have no right to say anything if im on public grounds, im almost scared to go out now

I wouldn't be, especially if it is a historic town, they probably have photographers wandering their streets on a daily basis.

I would agree. Historic towns are excellent places for street shooting because you are often just one of many with a camera. I am totally ignored when I do street shooting in Québec city.

skieur

Actually that is not quite correct in the US. Police canNOT take photos or equipment as evidence UNLESS the person has been formally arrested and that is NOT possible in most situations since taking pictures is NOT illegal.

When I posted my response.... being under arrest WAS the assumption....

That was the case in my disorderly conduct charge... getting my stuff back was easier than getting out of the police station.

It is obviously necessary to be very precise, when talking about the law, eh? ;)

skieur

Most reactions

Back