Photographing in High Key

lulu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love the look of high key images of children. I have been playing around trying to get, but all my pictures tend to get blown out. I would like help from all you pros out there, Please.

With digital?

total beginner question here---what's "high key" photography?

total beginner question here---what's "high key" photography?

Means different thing to different people.

In high key, there is a dominance of bright and lighter tones and the average brightness is around 2 stops brighter than 18% gray. Low key is where the overall image is equal to or lower than 18% gray. Middle key is around 1 stop brighter than 18% gray.

Some also consider shooting a subject againts a white backdrop as a high key image. Likewise against a black backdrop it's considered low key.

You can have a mix of keys in an image. Each are challenging.

High key images usually require more light - like blowing out a background so it's white will require a lot of light. You don't require this in low key but that has its own challenges.

I've been reading a lot and hope to start practicing soon.
Look at the books by Norman Philips.

Thanks guys.

Is this style considered desirable? I happen to like the look but many others don't so I am wondering what your thoughts are?

Define desirable. If you like the look of your images, who are the others to say they look bad.

Define desirable. If you like the look of your images, who are the others to say they look bad.
Entirely agree... when my wife and I were trying to pick which Christmas card photo of our kids to send out... we completely disagreed on which one looked the best. Because we had very different "tastes" about what looked good and what didn't.

No matter what style you shoot... there will most likely be a market for it.

desirable to look at by me and if other photographers are selling that style. I have a friend that keeps telling it looks too wahsed out. So I just was wondering what others thought of it.
Thanks.

Depends on the images your friend is looking at as some can have the washed out look. Usually older images that I've seen. Perhaps some photoshop work to make them that way....

Most reactions

Back