Photographing in Public

nugentch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kurtnugentphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This may be a garbled post because I really don't know how to ask this question... but here goes. Has anyone ever had any issues photographing in public and how did you handle it?

Two examples that I have had personally:

Shortly after 9/11 I was visiting the army base in Germany I was stationed at in the 80's. I wanted to take a photo of the old commissary and a fellow ran out yelling that photos were not allowed. There was no signage. I immediately stopped taking photos and left the area. OK, I kinda get this one. It was right after 9/11 and I was on a military installation.

Last year my wife and I were at the International Garden Show in Hamburg, Germany. There was an exhibit showing different styles of playgrounds and my wife shot a few shots on her iPad. A mother walked up to here and asked her if she had photographed her child on the play structures. My wife showed the mother the photos and when the mother saw her child asked my wife to delete those photos. My wife did as she was asked.

I like to do documentary photos (just for myself, not commercially) and a lot of times people are in the shots. I don't walk around with model releases for people to sign. I really haven't had an issue with this, but it is a possibility. I guess I would just like to know your experiences for reference.

Thanks!

Kurt :camera:

Laws vary according to the country you're in, so in Germany it may be different that in the US.

But the basic rule in the US is that if you're on public property, there's no assumption of privacy for anyone. So you're free to shoot what or who you want.

Yeah, I really think Germany has the same rules. Last year it was a little sensitive due to all the revelations about US spying on our allies (Snowden).

I have been in Guatemala and it is strictly forbidden to photograph children. Adults are OK, but kids are off-limits. This is due to the human trafficking that occurs there.

Like you say. if your are traveling you really need to bone up on the laws and culture of the area.

Pretty much people hyper-sensitive to "privacy" due to what's been in the press.

I wouldn't worry. For every 20 shots, there will always be one who will be annoying about it.

Pretty much people hyper-sensitive to "privacy" due to what's been in the press.......

They're hyper-sensitive to all us terrorists running around with cameras plotting the demise of civilization as we know it.

I've never had any issues... I think just one person showed me with his hands not to take his picture while I was taking his picture... and that was it... no troubles

Terrorists or pedos

The media has made people fear both groups in relation to photography, even though in reality there is little grounds for much if any real concern for the general public. However there is also the internet to consider, many dislike the idea that something they do could end up being some big viral thing on the net that "the whole world" sees and laughs at etc.... It's a new world concern that we never had back in the pre-internet days because back then a photographers work was likely to only get as far as the local photography club and not much further - if it did make it national chances are they were "A pro" which confers some kind of immunity to them in the eyes of the public (indeed if you look like a pro many will just assume you are one - course in todays market with DSLRs far more common fewer think you're a pro than in the past).

Most reactions

Back