Photographing subject at through tunnel

dav305z

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like framing objects in a tunnel (or a window, doorway, etc.) but am challenged by how to properly expose them.

$66520008.JPG$66520009.JPG

First image would be f16 250, second at f16,125. This is with IS0 200 film. These were just guesses, since a light meter is rather useless here. Ideally, I'd like to see just a bit more of the tunnel without blowing out the subject. I know this can be accomplished by layering photos, but am trying to learn how to do things the old fashioned way.

i like the look you are going for have you tried a tighter crop, you might like the look better

$66520009.JPG

or yes if u want the whole range you can try HDR for a shot like your original composition to have everything exposed.

As far as the old fashioned way, thats for the pros to answer.

Yes you can. But why would you want to?
It seems details in the tunnel would distract from whatever is at the end of the tunnel.

A flash with a snoot so light is only added at the open end of the tunnel makes some sense.

Just spot meter, or center weight metering and use a soft flash on the foreground elements.

Edit: After reading your post again, I realize my example picture does nothing for you. I apologize. The key would be to either use multiple exposures or just use some soft lighting to bring out the texture you want. Most cameras/flashes can soften the flash itself significantly. Might be worth trying.

Attachments

• $tunnel.jpg
    $tunnel.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Yes you can. But why would you want to? It seems details in the tunnel would distract from whatever is at the end of the tunnel.

I'm the type of person that thinks everything in the frame that's not the subject should be used to draw attention to the subject in some way. Along those lines, flash could provide details in the tunnel for leading elements like light fall-off, or repetitive patterns that draw the eye to the opening at the end.

I would meter to expose the subject correctly and bounce a diffused flash off the roof of the tunnel. Might have to try a number of different materials, Lee 250 diffusion might be a good place to start.

Be well,

Anthony

Most reactions

Back