Photographing supermoon shots--how do you get these?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This Saturday is supposed to be a "supermoon" where the moon is the largest and brightest this year.

I'd like to photograph it but I'd like to get one of those shots where the moon is HUGE and there is something smaller in front of it, like a house or a flower or whatever. See below.

How did the photographer accomplish the HUGE moons with smaller stuff in front? Are these 2 images overlaid to achieve this result?

This Weekend's 'Supermoon' Will be Year's Largest | Supermoon Full Moon | Space.com

Thanks for the heads up. I might try to head to the beach if the weather is right. Unless I get a good view by my house. Too many trees lol.

Yes, that type of thing is best done with a long lens (and long distances), and then putting yourself into a position where the moon will be behind your chosen foreground subject.

Last edited:
If you don't have any fancy astronomical equipment, what sort of focal length lens do you need on a 1.6 crop DSLR to get a reasonable photo?[/QUOTE]

400mm is the VERY minimum you will need

80mm Apo on EQ6 legs and William Optics EzTouch mount, Canon 60D

Image1-15.jpg

scope.jpg

Thumbnail attached taken a few years ago with Canon 75-300mm total eclipse

Attachments

• $JPEG Image (30193203).jpg
    $JPEG Image (30193203).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 162
If you aim at having moon+ something, if not a silhouette, you might need a couple of shots to mix together to have both moon and landscape correcty exposed (or consider shooting at sunset instead that at night).
This one is with an old 400/6.3, manual, duplicated with an old cheap teleconverter (cheap gear).

Altra luna di vdm, su Flickr

In all reality, the moon won't be SUPER HUGE! It will just be slightly larger in angular measurement.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back