photographing toddlers

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I am quite good (imo :lol:) at capturing photos of babies. I have so many great photos of my daughter (2) growing up and of my new son too. But now that my daughter is 2 she is so hard to photograph! I have my camera out at all times and take probably like 400 photos a week (although many aren't that good). I am rarely able to capture her the way I want to. She moves so quickly and never smiles when I want her too. I usually have the camera 'focus' before I am ready to take the shot then I press the shutter all the way down at just the right moment but she is just THAT quick!! I am using a canon powershot, but my new dslr is on its way to me :mrgreen:. Please share your toddler tips!!

400 shots a week :O

On topic:
Never shot pictures of a toddler so no advice from me, sorry.

Shutter lag has always been a problem with 'point & shoot' type digital cameras. They have gotten better over the years, but I'm sure you'll find that your DSLR is much faster to focus (especially if you are looking through the viewfinder and not using the live-view feature).

My son is three now, and even before he was two, he started saying "No pictures Daddy". Ah....they grow up too fast.

At first, my strategy, when photographing him, was to set up a studio area and just let him play around in it. As long as I could get him to say 'on set', I had a chance for a good photo. Later, I had to get him involved, so I used a wireless remote and let him press the button.

F-is-one-02.jpg

F-is-one-11.jpg

Mar14-web-02.jpg

I now have twin girls as well...and trying to photograph them all at once, or even both girls...is an exercise in futility. I've found that it's probably easiest to photograph them separately and make a composition.
All%20three%20-%20web.jpg

Thanks mike! Your kids are beautiful! I hear you, photographing them together is close to impossible! I'm glad to hear its a p&s issue! I'm so looking forward to my new camera! Sometimes I have to tell myself 'no more pictures' and sit back and enjoy the moment rather than try to capture it :lol:. Thanks for the advice.

Nice pics Mike... This is an issue for our family too! Your kids are too cute. :)

Prozac! :) (j/k!)

Most reactions

Back