photographing unattractive people

Like most photographers, I take the opposite point of view. The essence of portraiture is to flatter the subject. There are tons of books and web tutorials on how to do that, from make-up to posing, lighting and camera angles. The biggest mistake of the "natural excuse" photographers is that they often bring visual attention to blemishes in their work, which I would consider insulting the subject.

Now, postprocessing does much of what was previously done in photo labs. If PP is well done, it will not even be noticed by the subject when you show hm/her the prints. Some for example reduce blemishes, so that they are less noticeable, rather than completely eliminating them. Blood shot eyes can be fixed and teeth can be finessed.

So, the fine balance is to flatter the subject without transforming him or her into a permanent totally different person.

skieur
+1 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

It's a major part of a portrait photographers job to recognise problem areas and manage the pose to minimise them. Nothing needs to be discussed with the client about the problems, unless they bring it up. Most times they will understand exactly what it is you are doing and they will love you for doing it without mention.

Good thread and good information so far.

I myself have HUGE scars on my stomach and left side with one rib removed on my left side. skieur you are right! It would be very hard for me to bring up my scars and say "what can you do with these" However if a photographer used lighting and positioning to hide them or minimize them I'd be happy. Now I'm not out of shape or anything like that. In fact I am quite the opposite. 6'4" 212 and very well built. But I have the scars. And as I said. They are big and there are lots of them. So skieur I'd have to agree with you. If they were in the photo's I'd be okay with that. As long as they aren't the first thing that your eye catches. I'd kind of be insulted to be honest with you if someone made them the center of attention becuase I have a lot better features to look at then my scars. Skieur I'd like to thank you for what you said and you'd be the type of photographer that I'd like to work with!

I'm not a professional, so I really don't have to worry about it. But I think if I was confronted with that dilemma, I'd wait for them to bring it up.

J.:mrgreen:

Doesn't work. Not a lot of people: men or women wish to discuss their blemishes with a photographer.

skieur
Yeah, I see your point. I'm just glad I haven't had to deal with that issue. In fact, everyone in this thread have offered pretty good points of view.
I hope I never have too (face this dilemma).
J.:mrgreen:

Around 20 years ago, I shot portraits every day at a busy studio,and made my entire living at it. We had a lot of regular people come in,and occasionally a person would mention they had a problem area,and would just matter of factly ask if we could make their glasses not look weird (Coke bottle bottom lenses), or make their nose look not crooked (no profile or semi-profile poses), and make them look better if they were heavy set. Many older women in their late 60's to 80's would ask for, "the special filter", knowing full well that we had diffusion filters available, just like the ones used for Hollywood actresses in some of those oh-so-very 1940's films.

One of the simplest things is to NEVER show a person's nose outside the outline of their face; many people think they have a big or unattractive nose,and as soon as the outline of the nose breaks past the cheekline, they HATE the portrait. So don't do that! Always angle a heavy set person's body to the camera,and never show a heavy set woman straight-shouldered to the camera--the broad shouldered look is for linebackers and lumberjacks. Never use broad lighting on a person with a fat or broad face. Set the main light a bit higher on a chubby-faced, jowly person and have them lean forward a slight bit and raise the camera two inches higher than normal and a triple chin magically goes AWAY. All done without saying anything even remotely offensive.

A good code method is to is to help them get posed,with specific posing instructions, and then ask them to look directly at the lens, and then say, "Please look right at the lens, while I adjust the main light so it is 'just so'. I want to get my main light set just perfectly." Let them know that you want to get the lighting "just right, not too high,and not too low," and it's almost like code-speak--they realize what you are doing--minimizing their double chins or bulbous nose or chubby tummy,etc.

It's really a matter of using light and sound posing fundamentals in the right way, and of reassuring your subject that you are taking "steps" to make them look good. In family group shots, if a person is very heavy, you can often angle them appropriately at the shoulders and position another person in font of their tummy,and in general pose the group so as to put everybody into a good position. People are paying you to make them look good,and you do what works in each situation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back