Photographing Wine bottles!!!

winepro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am looking for professional advice on how to take professional wine bottle photos for my web catalogue.

I need a portable kit, big enough for normal wine bottles. I need the bottle standing up or lying down, with the etiquette readable and white background.

I have a Canon Powershot 510 as camera. I would need a light box / light tent and lights. The lights i have already taken care of but the light box/tent idea still remains. I have seen a lots of Do-It-Yourself-Lightbox on the internet but i wonder if i better would buy a professional lightbox and in that case which one? What brand? Where from?

I would also appriciate tips and ideas about photographing wine bottles.

Cheer's

WinePro

The book Light: Science and Magic has a whole chapter about lighting glass...and a bunch of photos of wine bottles/glasses. Check it out, good stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

A do-it-yourself light box, wouldn't be too hard to fabricate...but if you are going to be taking it on location, you might want something that is durable and made to fold up. I don't have any brands or model, off the top of my head...but a simple Google search should turn up plenty of options.

When photographing wine bottles, one of the big concerns will be how the light source is reflected on the bottle. I'm not sure of the best method, but maybe someone else will chime in with some input.

i happen to have just built my own lightbox that might fit the bill... heres a photo. Really simple, you just need some wood dowels, and some scrap wood to drill holes into to connect it all together.

setup-

LB.jpg

results-

lenslayingdown.jpg

Tony, what kind of fabric are you using on your lightbox? (It kind of looks like....a shower curtain?) What kind of fabric works best for this kind of setup?

kind of a translucent shower curtain. PET or something... sorta like vinyl but i think its a little softer and lighter so its easier to drape over stuff

A friend of mine made a tutorial about building a light box out of an old cardboard box... he probably wouldn't consider himself a photographer, but he gets pretty good results from it. He uses it to take pics of his built model kits.

http://www.gamerabaenre.com/lightbox.htm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back